I fainted at the top of a steep hill on my ride today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, THAT was embarrassing ... I went out on my bike this afternoon to meet a couple of friends at the cafe in Heptonstall, which is towards the top of a tough climb. I felt ok on the bike but was pushing myself a bit harder on the climb than I normally do because I was about 10 minutes late.

I got to the cafe and spotted my pals sitting at the tables at the front of it. I sprinted up the last few metres of cobbles, leapt off my bike (looking suitably knackered), jokingly said "Maybe I am getting too old for this!" but then realised that I felt really giddy.

My friend gave up her chair and I slumped down on it. I sensed the signs of an impending faint so I stretched my legs out, took the chewing gum from my mouth, and rested my head on the back of my chair. Next thing I knew, I came round with panic all around me. Somebody had phoned for an ambulance, and someone had brought me a glass of water, someone else a cold, damp flannel for my feverish brow.

I was told that I had gone into a deep faint and all the blood had drained from my face. I had looked like I might be dead and had been unresponsive for a couple of minutes! :eek:

A first responder arrived and was dealing with me until an ambulance arrived. I was helped into the back of that and the paramedics did a battery of tests: ECG, blood oxygen saturation, blood pressure and blood glucose levels. There may have been others, I was still groggy ...

My blood pressure was at 105/... whereas it is normally more like 115/... They said it had probably been significantly lower when I fainted.

I was perking up the whole time that this was going on. Eventually the paramedics said that although it seemed to be a faint brought on by over-exertion, they would like to take me to hospital for observation. I considered it, but decided not to go. It felt exactly like the dozen or so faints that I have had in the past. I am obviously prone to them. I had discussed this subject with my consultant at the time of my blood clotting problems and lots of tests were done. I got the all-clear back then. I signed a refusal form and said that I would take it easy for the next day or two. They were kind enough to take me, my bike and my friends down into Hebden Bridge. It didn't seem sensible to ride my bike down the hill when I was in that state!

I lay down and slept for an hour at my friends' house and after that they made me a meal. I decided to be sensible and came back to Todmorden by train this evening to avoid a 7 km ride down the A646.

I'm not feeling too bad sat here with my laptop, but I certainly wouldn't fancy riding up any steep hills right now!

Some people think that I made a full recovery from my clots of 2012/2013 but actually I have felt physically vulnerable ever since then. I am ok making efforts up to a certain level, maybe short bursts of 90%, but if I go beyond that I start to feel the strain and I think I pushed a bit too hard today.

Anyway ... an eventful day! Thanks to everyone who was kind and considerate to me, but a virtual slap on the wrist for the motorist who complained to one paramedic that the ambulance was blocking his way out of a car park! (He did not know what was going inside. For all he knew, I might have had a heart attack.)

Last edited:

Katherine

Guru
Oh dear! Maybe you have found your limit? Glad you are ok and that you weren't out on your own when you fainted.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
It looks like you will have to avoid steep hills for a while. Listen to your body and take it easy. A trip to your doctor would be advisable too I think. Easy does it.

I had a similar fright wi ma John a couple of years back after a long cycle.

To cut a scàry for me, long story short, discovered he has hypocobalaminemia, vitamin B deficiency. He now has to go for a jab of vitamin B every 8 weeks.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

You dealt with that very well! Sounds like you got very good paramedics as well. Time to visit the GP?
I have had lots of tests done over the past 4 years. ECGs (or whatever they call them these days), CT scans, X-rays, blood tests, urine tests, heart ultrasound, kidney function, lung function, blood oxygen, blood clotting tests, and probably others that I have forgotten about. The only thing they found wrong was the blood clots and the damage caused by them.

I am having lifetime meds (warfarin) for the clotting problems, so at the moment there doesn't seem a lot more to be done. I am keeping my weight under control, have given up alcohol, don't do (non-prescribed!) drugs, eat a healthy diet, and ride my bike and walk a lot.

If something like this happens unprovoked then I will definitely seek further advice, but for now I will limit my cycling efforts to sub-90%!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I had a similar fright wi ma John a couple of years back after a long cycle.

To cut a scàry for me, long story short, discovered he has hypocobalaminemia, vitamin B deficiency. He now has to go for a jab of vitamin B every 8 weeks.
I'm glad John is ok now!

I was also tested for anaemia, and I have been taking vitamin B complex for a few years now 'for insurance'.

I have just remembered having a bone density scan and a kidney scan as well as all the other tests mentioned above.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Glad you're okay Colin, take it easy for a bit.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yikes. But if your biggest worry was embarrassment, I reckon you're doing OK. Maybe just stop showing off with those sprint finishes. :okay:
Yes, I think that was the icing on a rather crumbly cake! :laugh:

Those of a sadistic nature can relive my pain by Street viewing your way up the climb HERE. (Bear left halfway up.) The cafe is about 50 yards up the cobbles on the right in the village. You can see the chair that I collapsed on by the door of the cafe, occupied by a bearded man.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Wow, what luck you actually made it to the top of the hill and somewhere safe. I would say get well soon, but sounds like you are in it for the long haul again.

Top Bottom