I fainted at the top of a steep hill on my ride today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If it's any consolation, I have seen a rider faint at the end of a 24hr on occasion. Extreme effort will have consequences.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If it's any consolation, I have seen a rider faint at the end of a 24hr on occasion. Extreme effort will have consequences.
I wouldn't be surprised to faint after 24 hours of hard riding. In my case, it was only 30 minutes ... ! :laugh:

I'm more and more convinced that my problem was due to mild concussion. My head took a big hit the day before my ride, so I am lucky if that is the only problem arising from it.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
You mentioned blood pooling in your legs due to valve damage - do you wear any kind of compression socks to help prevent that?
(Just wondering - may help even though you now think it was more likely to be due to concussion).

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

[QUOTE 4345541, member: 76"]Please tell us you said "Just put me back on the bloody bike"[/QUOTE]
Not quite, but when I was recovering in the ambulance and the paramedics were doing their tests, I asked them what happens to the bike when they take an injured or ailing cyclist to hospital. They said that the bike is usually 'taken into custody' by the police for safe keeping.

You mentioned blood pooling in your legs due to valve damage - do you wear any kind of compression socks to help prevent that?
(Just wondering - may help even though you now think it was more likely to be due to concussion).
I have been wearing knee-length light compression socks most of the time for the past couple of years, except during baths, or showers, or when in bed. They definitely make my legs feel more comfortable when I am standing still for a significant length of time e.g. when cooking meals. I wear them on the bike too but not in hot conditions because I tend to overheat. I wasn't wearing them on the day I blacked out.

My friends have told me that I was actually standing for a couple of minutes before slumping into the chair. That surprises me - I had thought it was only a few seconds, but I suppose that I wasn't exactly thinking clearly at the time!

I am fairly sure about the concussion. It is 2 weeks since I banged my head and I am still not 100% recovered. I'm ok generally but I still feel a bit 'fuzzy-headed', as if I have a hangover. Since I have not touched alcohol for 4 years, I know THAT is not to blame! :okay:

Still, I am improving day by day, and back enjoying my cycling. I did 113 miles on the Humber Bridge forum ride last Saturday with no ill effects. :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Not quite, but when I was recovering in the ambulance and the paramedics were doing their tests, I asked them what happens to the bike when they take an injured or ailing cyclist to hospital. They said that the bike is usually 'taken into custody' by the police for safe keeping.

My friends have told me that I was actually standing for a couple of minutes before slumping into the chair. That surprises me - I had thought it was only a few seconds, but I suppose that I wasn't exactly thinking clearly at the time!

I am fairly sure about the concussion. It is 2 weeks since I banged my head and I am still not 100% recovered. I'm ok generally but I still feel a bit 'fuzzy-headed', as if I have a hangover. Since I have not touched alcohol for 4 years, I know THAT is not to blame
Still,:smile:

The brainscan(EEG) might show something not working, but I'd not let that put having it done. It might rule one thing out. Pain free, but fun cleaning the hair afterwards.

My bike ended up in the ambulance with me a few years ago, when I was picked up of the road following a fit whilst riding home. Having signed the release at the A&E, I rode home after.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I couldn't really see the police sending a car out just to pick up a bicycle! :okay: If the police had been called out to an RTA involving a cyclist, yes - they would probably take charge of the bike then

I was talking to Busdennis on his Humber Bridge ride at the weekend. He said that the hospital he works at would not routinely scan a patient after just one collapse like mine.

I don't know how many people faint/blackout each day in the UK but it must be many thousands. To scan the brains of all of them would be an awful lot of extra scans for an overloaded NHS to perform!

classic33

Leg End Member
Don't let the fear of what a brainscan might show, it may well rule somethings out, if offerred it though.

I lost an hour in town today, usual reason. I'd also had someone remove two £5 notes from a fastened pocket, whilst on the floor.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I lost an hour in town today, usual reason. I'd also had someone remove two £5 notes from a fastened pocket, whilst on the floor.
There really are some nasty, thieving scrotes about! :cursing:

Having said that, most people are nice. When I flaked out, a woman from a nearby property came out with a towel and a damp flannel to cool me down. (I always pour sweat when I faint, and especially so that time because of the ride up the steep hill.)

Globalti

Legendary Member
That's a dammned steep climb Colin! Are you sure it wasn't just low blood sugar? I've seen a bloke faint in the same way at the top of a climb; he was diabetic.

That's interesting. In London, they will take the bike in the ambulance with you, if you want.

Top Bottom