I fear I have just been an arse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Just 5 minutes ago, I was out walking my dog along the road where I live, when I saw someone one cycling along the pavement towards me.

The road is dead straight so I could see them coming for quite along time and I noticed that he didn't get out of the way of other pedestrians in front of me, more, that had to move round him.

So I decided I wasn't going to get out of the way of him, and when he came close enough, I deliberately held out my arms as if to say, I'm not putting up with you', and at the same time I said 'You shouldn't be riding on the pavement'.

Whilst I did this, I got my first proper look at the rider, and he appeared to be a boy of about 7 or 8.:blush:

He didn't even flinch and cycled around me instead.

Ooops! (but he shouldn't have been on the pavement anyway! :evil::evil:)

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Must have been a big 7 or 8 :evil:

But indeed cycling on the pavement isn't allowed. We tolerate youngsters/beginners on the pavement but at some stage they should get on the road. In this case it sounds like your 7/8 yr old was competent enough to have made that transition.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
My first reaction to your Title and the beginning of the story was that you had allowed Bruno (the dog) to wander to one side of the pavement with you at the other whilst he was attached to one of those long extentible leads. Sort of deliberately. :evil:

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
No no, Bruno is too old, decrepit and blind (he walks into things now, it's sad but oddly amusing at the same time) to wander too far away from me. Besides, I saw the boy coming as he happened to be wearing a bright GREEN hoodie, and therefore was about to make sure that Bruno was ok.

BigSteev

Really??? You'd be happy for a 7/8 year old to ride unprotected on the road?

Sure, why not?

Arch

Married to Night Train
We saw 4 lads in Germershiem at the weekend, on 2 BMX's (one on each one the saddle, one on the rear stunt pegs). Hard to tell age, but maybe 8-10.

The amusing thing was that as they rode along the road, they all indicated perfectly to turn - both of them on each bike, so two arms went out at immaculate right angles.

I've no idea if two to a bike is legal in Germany, but these lads were certainly riding with a sense of responsibility lacking in many British adults!

Fixed penalty notices cannot be applied to anyone under the age of sixteen, so while technically against the law, there is no legal recourse that can be made for the offense in this case.

Top Bottom