I feel conned ULEZ

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
No less so than your post he was responding to.

Cars pay a fraction of the damage they do to others, an effective subsidy for health damage, global warming, concreting the countryside and intimidating everyone else from public space.

Motorists whinging about the cost of motoring gets my goat.

Alex321

Veteran
Cars pay a fraction of the damage they do to others, an effective subsidy for health damage, global warming, concreting the countryside and intimidating everyone else from public space.

Motorists whinging about the cost of motoring gets my goat.

Which is not actually what he was doing.

He was complaining about one specific charge, which he was caught out by due to inadequate signage and unclear details.

He wasn't complaining about the cost as such, but about the fact it was unclear.

And regardless, you can't really expect a "charming" response when you respond to him the way you did.

CXRAndy

Guru
When travelling, especially to London. The rare occasions I've taken a car I researched the ULEZ. If I was entering, I then would decide to alter my route or go via different transport mode. On one occasion several years ago, not bother to go at all

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Which is not actually what he was doing.

He was complaining about one specific charge, which he was caught out by due to inadequate signage and unclear details.

He wasn't complaining about the cost as such, but about the fact it was unclear.

And regardless, you can't really expect a "charming" response when you respond to him the way you did.

We disagree.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I imagine you typing that with a blissful smile on your face as fond memories of Beckton Sewage Works flood back.

Contrary to popular belief, they don't pong most of the time. I had my safety induction with a bloke in a suit who jokingly said 'I work in s**t...at the executive end'^_^.

icowden

Veteran
He doesn't drive so knows very little about ULEZ, I'm a Northern foreigner in the place so know even less, however I have now found out that we did in fact go into the ULEZ zone & have been charged £12.50 for the privilege, however from what I can work out if you are traveling West on the A406 it's impossible to get off without incurring a charge.
It is possible to get off to go North, but you do have to be careful as it is quite easy to accidentally go into the ULEZ zone.

the TFL website & phone lines are a waste of space, as neither can tell you IF your car was actually on camera, I feel like at least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask.
On this I agree with you. There does seem to be a bizarre setup whereby you have to guess if you were in the zone and pay just in case.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

On this I agree with you. There does seem to be a bizarre setup whereby you have to guess if you were in the zone and pay just in case.
I feel this is quite deliberate, also there are green ULEZ signs on the A406 itself which according to their own website is not included in the zone just to aid to the confusion of somebody just visiting.

But hopefully I won't have to drive into the hovel anytime soon & can return to using the train if I am forced to visit again & remembering to wipe my feet as I board the train on my way back.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

The signage is really not that hard to see.

7BF0D77F-9E26-42E8-B045-FC7CC84C371C.jpeg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I expect there were signs if you were traveling from M11 east to west on the A406 indicating that if you turn left you be in the ULEZ you probably just missed them.
If you reached the junction with the A10 you could have come off on the slip, up the A10 straight to Pickett's Lock.
Looking at the satnav?

You travel the A406 Eastbound you can get off without incurring ULEZ charge, you travel the A406 Westbound you can't it is quite simple & a lesson learnt, but unless you know the fact that when they say inside the A406 they do mean right up to the edge of it & not the at the bottom of the slip road or after you have exited the roundabout.

If you are travelling up/down the A1 & it turns into the A1M there is an option to exit before you commit to the A1M or the M42 for that matter it would appear there is no such option for ULEZ
Looking at that map it infers eastbound/westbound are different with one inside ULEZ while the other is outside.

Top Bottom