I feel conned ULEZ

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
My inlaws live just off the A12 near Gants Hill (so outside any zones) and you can taste the particulates. They've all got asthma to some degree.

Back in 2016 I walked the Thames Path. When I got home at the end of my first day in central LOndon I could feel the pollution on my chest just from 6-7 hours exposure.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Which is all well & good if you are local, but we aren't, so seeing a little green sign at the side of the road, whilst following a sat nav down a road, looking for your exit aren't the priority.

Don't get me wrong, I have sympathy with your situation, having been hit with Birmingham's charge, when there was no practical alternative to driving to my destination within that city's charge zone. But I would guess were you to advance that argument as part of an appeal, you may find it being thrown back in your face that a motorist was not noting road signs.
Also, if it is like Greater Manchester's proposed emissions zone, there may be warning signs before you get to the ULEZ.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ta.
Not come across one of them.

Basically it's a charge that's due if you have a crappy old vehicle. Most new-ish vehicles (Petrol cars post 2006, diesels post 2016 and all electrics) are exempt as they comply with stricter standards.

I had a 2007 diesel. It was not exempt. But also it was getting to the point where it was really struggling with its MOT and each report had the words "severe corrosion" on it about a dozen times, so ULEZ did me a favour in nudging me to get rid of it.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I'm afraid I can't feel any sympathy here. It reads a bit like these people who complain they've been tricked by speed cameras.

It's a trivial sum of money compared to running a car and it's well publicised.

Stop whinging and pay up, or better still take public transport in the first place.

Cars don't pay enough for the harm they cause to others.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Stop whinging and pay up, or better still take public transport in the first place.

Okay I'll bite, explain how I get from the village of Carlton in Lindrick, Nottinghamshire, to Normanby by Spital in Lincolnshire, from there to to N9 0AS & back to Carlton in Lindrick on a Sunday, work out the time it would take, the cost involved along with carrying a full toolbox of mechanical tools, a toolbox of electrical tools & a carryall of clothes.

I have no idea but I suspect you're into days, FYI, I have paid but I think the TFL website is shite for this & the concept the going West you pay, going East you don't

Took my nephew back to London yesterday & to fix an issue with his canal boat, we went down the A1, A14, M11 then onto the North Circular, A406 Westbound, we came off at a junction, under the A406 & then North about a mile to N9 0AS.

He doesn't drive so knows very little about ULEZ, I'm a Northern foreigner in the place so know even less, however I have now found out that we did in fact go into the ULEZ zone & have been charged £12.50 for the privilege, however from what I can work out if you are traveling West on the A406 it's impossible to get off without incurring a charge.

In future I'll keep coming down the A1 & travel along the A406 East & not pay the charge as we won't have gone into the zone, the TFL website & phone lines are a waste of space, as neither can tell you IF your car was actually on camera, I feel like at least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask.

Should have bought an electric...

Although that sai
Okay I'll bite, explain how I get from the village of Carlton in Lindrick, Nottinghamshire, to Normanby by Spital in Lincolnshire, from there to to N9 0AS & back to Carlton in Lindrick on a Sunday, work out the time it would take, the cost involved along with carrying a full toolbox of mechanical tools, a toolbox of electrical tools & a carryall of clothes.

I have no idea but I suspect you're into days, FYI, I have paid but I think the TFL website is shite for this & the concept the going West you pay, going East you don't

You wanna get an EV. Sorted.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Basically it's a charge that's due if you have a crappy old vehicle. Most new-ish vehicles (Petrol cars post 2006, diesels post 2016 and all electrics) are exempt as they comply with stricter standards.

I had a 2007 diesel. It was not exempt. But also it was getting to the point where it was really struggling with its MOT and each report had the words "severe corrosion" on it about a dozen times, so ULEZ did me a favour in nudging me to get rid of it.

You know there are bridges across the Thames now, you don't need to treat it as a ford.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

Sorry, but don't see how this is relevant. Drive into London, pay for the privilege. Don't whinge.

CXRAndy

Guru
These incidents will just further the EV take up, until cars of any type are barred from town and city centres. Nothing better than to sting a user in the pocket to force a change. I look forward to cleaner air in towns and cities, everywhere really

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
As to where I went 'wrong' I don't understand your statement, I didn't go wrong, I went exactly were I wanted to,

You went wrong by ignoring the ULEZ signs and driving into the zone when you very much did not need to do that to reach your destination. It was your navigation and ignoring the signs that’s the problem here. You weren’t forced to drive into the zone, you chose to go that way

Last edited:
Top Bottom