I feel dirty.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My friends moved back to Australia this week and they didn't have time to sell their car, so it's now sitting outside of my house fully insured for me to drive! I want to sell it, but it's so nice and comfortable, it even has heated leather seats. I was in it last night and even though it felt wrong, it felt really nice as well...........I'm thinking of keeping it!!

Lifes too short to feel guilty all the time.

Drive the car when it suits ride your bike when it suits. Its all good.

Chrisz

Über Member
What car is it? Would it actually be worth selling it anyway or would you owe it to yourself the provide it with a loving home?

It's a 2002 Mondeo Ghia X. They were trying to sell it for £500 but nobody wanted it. If I keep it I will give them the money although I could sell it for more. Is it worth having a car if I'm only going to use it every other weekend though?

janm399

Veteran
Calum said:
Why do some cyclists feel guilty about driving cars?! Keep the bastard, it sounds like a beast.

I don't feel guilty driving my car, but when I do I feel annoyed that I did not cycle. Think of cycling as addiction; when you're driving, you're off your favourite drug.
I cam imagine that feeling less annoyed about driving, which happens when you have a nice car, must be pretty stressful ;)

nilling

Über Member
Might be only £500 (you get plenty of bangs for your buck with Ford Ghia) but once you add "road" tax, insurance with no discounts and then there's petrol; just to use at the weekend? Seems pretty lavish to me :blush:

Freewheeler

If you keep the car but don't use it much, chances are you'll stop feeling guilty and start getting annoyed at the large fixed costs. My car has done about 4000 miles per year for the last 5 years, and that includes shopping, commuting on lazy days, a trip to Cornwall from near Liverpool, one to Westmoreland and a few to Wales. With that kind of mileage, I only get it serviced every other year (keeping an eye on the tyres and oil level etc myself). I'd be very happy if VED was reduced to a nominal fee and road pricing or fuel duty were used to make up the difference (I think that reducing fixed vehicle costs is key to getting people to consider other modes of transport).

If the car would only fetch 500 quid, I'd keep it for long distance journeys (a Mondeo is a nice car for motorway miles and big enough to go camping with bikes on a rack). Keep track of the mileage and feel smug when you do less than a hundred miles and only need to put in 20 quid's worth of fuel in a month. The main cost is probably going to be insurance, hopefully you've got no claims discount.

Then again, if you are happy without a car, sell it for £500 and avoid paying out another £600ish per year in VED, Insurance and servicing plus whatever on fuel.

Top Bottom