I feel like I am stretching

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
In the past I have adjusted my seat height after a fellow club member mentioning that my hips were moving about too much and I seemed to be stretching for the pedals.

However, something I have now picked up on is that I sit quite far forward in my seat in order to rest my hands in the correct position on the bars. I feel although I should be more compact together.

What should I adjust? The seat position, the angle of the handlebars, the stem? Instead of getting a new shorter stem, should I try having the seat forward a little?
I can move my bum to the rear off the seat (where it should be) but I then feel like i am stretching my arms on order to reach the brakes.

Norm

The saddle position needs to be set in relation to the pedals. The bar position then needs to be set in relation to the saddle.

If your bum/foot position is correct, you'll need to play with stem lengths but be aware that shortening the stem makes the steering much more responsive - go too far and it can be very twitchy.

Reactions: gaz

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Do you feel like you are sitting on the saddle in a comfortable possition when you are on the hoods?

Personally, I would follow the general setup procedure, saddle at a height that there is a small bend in knee when the pedal is in the 6 o'clock position and with the saddle position set so that a plumb line dropped from the bottom of the kneecap intersects the pedal spindle.

Then, take hold of the bars, if you feel stretched out, then you need a shorter stem or more rise on the stem, you can flip the stem (most have a negative rise angle, so flipped upside down, you get a positive rise) to see if this helps. If not, go to a LBS and see if they will help you size up a new stem. Or if you want to go it alone, you could always try the rule of thumb*, the front hub should be obscured by the handlebars when on the hoods, if it is behind the bars then you need a shorter stem, if it is in front, you need a longer one.

* It's a rule of thumb, i.e. an approximation, full aware it is much debated and doesn't work for some people.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Grasp the hoods. Look down at the front wheel. Is the hub hidden behind the top of the handlebars? It should be...

I would try sliding the saddle forward, just a touch and see if it feels any better. Has to be better than getting a new stem, right? If the saddle thing doesn't work or causes other issues, then think about switching out components.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The saddle position needs to be set in relation to the pedals. The bar position then needs to be set in relation to the saddle.

If your bum/foot position is correct, you'll need to play with stem lengths but be aware that shortening the stem makes the steering much more responsive - go too far and it can be very twitchy.
^ that.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I am going to be going out now for a lovely evening ride (sun is setting nicely) so I will check the handlebar/hub thing then. If it is as you say, I will have a play with the seat position.
I just hope that the wine that I have had tonight doesnt play with my perception of where the handlebars are and where my wheels are (including my perception of traffic).

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
But it'll change if you mess with the seat... just take a look and see how it is, first.
Okey dokey.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I went out tonight and checked on the seat first thing.

If I sit where I normally am, then the handlebars are exactly over the front hub. However, if I sit where I feel I should be (plus in a more comfortable position) then the handlebars are in front of the hub.
So I think I will need to move the seat forwards a little tomorrow and see if that helps things.

Top Bottom