I feel such a fool :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Hope one of you guys can help me out here. Some may recall the thread in the commuting section about getting rid of my road bike as couldn't get on with the drops.

I've given the bike a good clean today and for some reason my attention was brought to the stem. I *think* it has been on the wrong way since I had the bike!!! The stem was angled down and I twisted the handle bars up when I first had the bike to make things easier!

I have now put the stem the right way up (I think) and been for a traverse around the block and it feels so much better.

Am I right? The stem is a Bontrager select 17 D, the bike a Trek 1.2 Pilot WSD. Looking at the bike on the web, it does look like a slight rise.

I feel a right sledge at the moment!!! I can't believe I have been getting really pissed off with myself and the bike, and even trying to sell it.

BTW - the stem was already fitted when the bike was delivered, so at least I didn;t cock up there aswell!

;):blush::blush:

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

PS - please don't all laugh at once!

Be assured - there is no "wrong" or "right" about the stem, except for what is wrong or right for you.

The stems are designed to be flopped over like that if necessary. I'm inferring from your post that the bike was delivered to your front door - might be worth a trip to the LBS next time for a quick fitting session.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Stems can be run either way. Angled down and angled up. I like mine angled down as it suits the riding i do.
but angled up works for others, and is known to be more comfortable, and better for those with a shorter reach.

Now get riding and see how you get on. ;)

I bought a TREK 1.2T a week ago and (with lbs) left the stem in default down position. After a couple of rides I've flipped it for a slightly higher bar position. Feels better "for me".

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Fret not, we've all done something like that.
I knackered a RH crank by removing the nut, leaving the washer in place, then tightening the crank puller till the threads went. So I hacksawed it off. Then I removed the nut from the LH crank, left the washer in place...;)

Don't worry snapper - stems are generally suppoesed to be fitted one way up or the other - depending on rider preference.

I have mine turned up because I am very inflaxible and have a short reach, so this makes it more comfortable and puts me in more control of the bike.

I have found out so much since buying my roadbike - so much that I will know how to avoid the hassle, expense and discomfort of riding a bit that doesn't fit me properly when I buy my next one.

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Phheeewww

Thanks everyone! I've calmed down and can now see that it can be used both ways. Duh! What a novice I am. I'm so glad I found this nice, friendly site!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some of us nutters will tell you slam it down - arse up, head down....but take no notice from me...die hard roadie..... what ever is best for you !!!!

e-rider

crappy member
A note to thedoctor - if your crank get stuck on the BB axle (when you strip the thread out) just hit the crank with a mallot/hammer somewhere near the pedal (from the inside) - they soon fly off (if you remove the nut/bolt first of course)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I had mine angled up when i first got it. Then turned it round, the took some spacers out so its low. I dont like it too low though because when i go on drops it feels too low. But i like the stretched out position though.

yenrod

snapper_37 said:
Hope one of you guys can help me out here. Some may recall the thread in the commuting section about getting rid of my road bike as couldn't get on with the drops.

I've given the bike a good clean today and for some reason my attention was brought to the stem. I *think* it has been on the wrong way since I had the bike!!! The stem was angled down and I twisted the handle bars up when I first had the bike to make things easier!

I have now put the stem the right way up (I think) and been for a traverse around the block and it feels so much better.

Am I right? The stem is a Bontrager select 17 D, the bike a Trek 1.2 Pilot WSD. Looking at the bike on the web, it does look like a slight rise.

I feel a right sledge at the moment!!! I can't believe I have been getting really pissed off with myself and the bike, and even trying to sell it.

BTW - the stem was already fitted when the bike was delivered, so at least I didn;t cock up there aswell!

:biggrin::blush::biggrin:

Comfort is everything !

yenrod

tundragumski said:
A note to thedoctor - if your crank get stuck on the BB axle (when you strip the thread out) just hit the crank with a mallot/hammer somewhere near the pedal (from the inside) - they soon fly off (if you remove the nut/bolt first of course)

Whatever you do - DONT DO IT THIS WAY: Saw it off :biggrin:

Top Bottom