I finally got accustomed to high prices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Over the years, I've grumbled about high bike prices and how they are just a bunch of tubes with a couple of wheels stuck on. Nothing really fancy going on here compared to a motorbike. On and on I bleated. Well, now I have finally got accustomed to the high prices. No more will you need to read my droning (well, I might have the odd one here and there).

Many people justify the high prices due to the research and development, the tube shapes, the wind tunnels that are not cheap, the high grade of carbon fibre, the tech that goes into wireless shifting and so on.

So comparing that to some cars: do you want the black 21 inch wheels with your Brand X car instead of silver 21 inch? That's £3000. For what, to get a different colour wheel and a different design? "Yes" the dealer says... "it's the wind tunnel testing, checking the wheels new design is aerodynamic and so on, those wind tunnels are not cheap you know." And what's this now, £6k for special paint? "Yes yes" the dealer says, "we have to test it in arizona and other hot places, also the south pole, to ensure consistent paint quality across all weather conditions".

Yesssir, £5k for a road bike (or the same price for an full sus mtb which ironically has a lot more going on with it) is peanuts and we are lucky to be living in an age where you can get so much technology (suspension in the front, suspension at the back, who'd thunk it?) at such an "affordable" price. Right then, I'm putting in an order for one of those Turbo Levos. Oh wait, you can get an SL model too, which is lightweight. So they reduce the battery Wh and the motor size (to make it lighter you see) and charge how much because it's "lightweight"?

Less is more and all that. :smile:
As you were.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I will never be accustomed to high prices for new technology

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm finally getting accustomed to not being able to afford anything!

Prices of most things seem to have shot up over the last few years, while us plebs are still expected to work for £10 per hour. Simple arithmetic comes into play.

What I have really noticed is the price of hotels or bed and breakfasts. Your average B&B which maybe cost £50 per night not that long ago is now £100.
If they are charging it, people are obviously paying it. With the price of everything else shooting up - fuel, gas, electric, food etc., where is all the money coming from?
Something is going to have to give, and soon.

Alex321

Veteran
I'm finally getting accustomed to not being able to afford anything!

Prices of most things seem to have shot up over the last few years, while us plebs are still expected to work for £10 per hour. Simple arithmetic comes into play.

What I have really noticed is the price of hotels or bed and breakfasts. Your average B&B which maybe cost £50 per night not that long ago is now £100.
If they are charging it, people are obviously paying it. With the price of everything else shooting up - fuel, gas, electric, food etc., where is all the money coming from?
Something is going to have to give, and soon.
If you were old enough to be aware of such things in the 70's and 80's, you wouldn't think prices have been shooting up recently.

Since 2000 there have only been two years when inflation has hit 3%, with quite a few years when it has been under 2%.

If you were old enough to be aware of such things in the 70's and 80's, you wouldn't think prices have been shooting up recently.

Since 2000 there have only been two years when inflation has hit 3%, with quite a few years when it has been under 2%.
for those fortunate enough to be in work in the 70s though, wages were often going up as well though - a problem in itself of course.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
While prices have gone up across the board for largely understandable (if questionable / arguably avoidable) reasons, IMO the price of stuff at the top end remains utterly ridiculous.

I maintain that the price of gear at the top end of the market is ridiculous, bordering on shameful tbh. I can't see how anyone can justify any intrinsic value in a £10k road bike versus a £10k motorbike - when you look at the design, development and manufacturing that goes into each it's simply not there for the road bike.

The profit margins on these "high end" road bikes must be obscene and tbh they're just another sad marker of the growing wealth disparity in our economy, and cynical efforts to exploit those with money to burn. Of course this doen't just afflict bikes...

Alex321

Veteran
I was born in 1962. I am well aware of such things in the 70's and 80's. :okay:
I was also aware of my wages going up proportionately.

True, but they still are. According to the ONS, wages & salaries have risen by at least the rate of inflation (usually more) every year this century except 2009 and 2020.

for those fortunate enough to be in work in the 70s though, wages were often going up as well though - a problem in itself of course.

Very true - and also about "those fortunate enough to be in work". Both inflation and unemployment were running over 20% at the worst point.

Brandane

Legendary Member
True, but they still are. According to the ONS, wages & salaries have risen by at least the rate of inflation (usually more) every year this century except 2009 and 2020.

Very true - and also about "those fortunate enough to be in work". Both inflation and unemployment were running over 20% at the worst point.
Without getting into the banished territory of politics, I think they are just better at using smoke and mirrors to fudge the statistics these days.

Alex321

Veteran
While prices have gone up across the board for largely understandable (if questionable / arguably avoidable) reasons, IMO the price of stuff at the top end remains utterly ridiculous.

I maintain that the price of gear at the top end of the market is ridiculous, bordering on shameful tbh. I can't see how anyone can justify any intrinsic value in a £10k road bike versus a £10k motorbike - when you look at the design, development and manufacturing that goes into each it's simply not there for the road bike.

The profit margins on these "high end" road bikes must be obscene and tbh they're just another sad marker of the growing wealth disparity in our economy, and cynical efforts to exploit those with money to burn. Of course this doen't just afflict bikes...
I found this video quite interesting on that subject.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SakLMlqWoWw

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Are bicycle parts included in the calculation of inflation?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Talking of expensive things...
Was talking to my cousin in the Northampton area last night. His son is working for a company that has something to do with the development of the Lightyear One car. Yours for a DOWNPAYMENT of a mere €150,000...

Top Bottom