I finally got accustomed to high prices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The profit margins on these "high end" road bikes must be obscene and tbh they're just another sad marker of the growing wealth disparity in our economy, and cynical efforts to exploit those with money to burn. Of course this doen't just afflict bikes...

I don't see the problem. None of us mortals NEED a Dura Ace Groupset or the race issue Pinarello.

If you're rich enough to pay out for them then you're helping to prop up the teams and sponsors.
I hate to think how much it would cost a pro team in kit if they had to pay list price.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Talking of expensive things...
Was talking to my cousin in the Northampton area last night. His son is working for a company that has something to do with the development of the Lightyear One car. Yours for a DOWNPAYMENT of a mere €150,000...

Thunderf00t on youtube is going to love that site

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm finally getting accustomed to not being able to afford anything!

Prices of most things seem to have shot up over the last few years, while us plebs are still expected to work for £10 per hour. Simple arithmetic comes into play.

What I have really noticed is the price of hotels or bed and breakfasts. Your average B&B which maybe cost £50 per night not that long ago is now £100.
If they are charging it, people are obviously paying it. With the price of everything else shooting up - fuel, gas, electric, food etc., where is all the money coming from?
Something is going to have to give, and soon.
I used to work in Shopfitting/Exhibitions in 'that there london' It cost more per hour to sleep than I got paid

vickster

Legendary Member
Tyre prices for bikes are insane for what you get. MTB tyres, about £60 each. Can get a tyre for the Aygo for £40 fitted.
Surely you can get cheaper tyres for the MTB however (or those last much longer so better value for money/per use)...and more premium tyres for the Aygo.
I've never paid £60 for a bike tyre (barely paid that for two)

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There is something called "Skimming the market".
It means that you introduce something new at an extortionate price. Some will pay this and once the initial surge has passed you announce some mythical reason to lower the price and once that surge of sales has passed you continue this downward trend until you reach a reasonable price.
So I was told when I was doing a course of some kind in the distant past.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
True, but they still are. According to the ONS, wages & salaries have risen by at least the rate of inflation (usually more) every year this century except 2009 and 2020.

Very true - and also about "those fortunate enough to be in work". Both inflation and unemployment were running over 20% at the worst point.
They might be overall nationally if you take into account high flyers but from my experience wages have stagnated below inflation consistently especially after the switch from rpi to cpi , cpi being overall about 1% below rpi .The company slogan used to be "maintain and improve the members standard of living " now its "stable long term employment " which boils down to standards of living has slipped to the point where the wife needs to go to work to make the shortfall .

I always wondered who the folks were who pay for hotel rooms by the hour ... :whistle:
I've come across a few respectable looking hotels that do - or for afternoon slots of 2 to 3 hours. Being a curious soul I once asked reception what these were for. I was told it was for business people having "meetings". Mind you, as recent events have reminded us, "meeting" can encompass rather a lot.

There is something called "Skimming the market".
It means that you introduce something new at an extortionate price. Some will pay this and once the initial surge has passed you announce some mythical reason to lower the price and once that surge of sales has passed you continue this downward trend until you reach a reasonable price.
So I was told when I was doing a course of some kind in the distant past.
Agree - though when they are reduced to the "reasonable" price they often discontinue the product - at which point you have to look around for it still being made but under a more humble brand that they hope many folk will be too proud be seen with - not me :smile:

Last edited:
I've come across a few respectable looking hotels that do - or for afternoon slots of 2 to 3 hours. Being a curious soul I once asked reception what these were for. I was told it was for business people having "meetings". Mind you, as recent events have reminded us, "meeting" can encompass rather a lot.
Did the receptionist put air quotes around "meetings"?

(and did she hdd "... with people like Harvey Weinstein.")

Kingfisher101

Über Member
A lot of bike prices are a total rip off and they have shot up in price as well.
One I bought 2 years or so ago for £700 is now £1250 for the exact same bike. I don't want to buy another for a long time. I will ride what I've got and if I was on the market now for a bike I'd just get one from Halfords or a decent secondhand one as I don't do anything really special on them. I think its a total con spending grands on a bike.
I also think unless you have health problems or are very elderly no one needs an electric bike either.Just walk the bits that are too steep or try to really improve your fitness.

Last edited:
A lot of bike prices are a total rip off and they have shot up in price as well.
One I bought 2 years or so ago for £700 is now £1250 for the exact same bike. I don't want to buy another for a long time. I will ride what I've got and if I was on the market now for a bike I'd just get one from Halfords or a decent secondhand one as I don't do anything really special on them. I think its a total con spending grands on a bike.
I also think unless you have health problems or are very elderly no one needs an electric bike either.Just walk the bits that are too steep or try to really improve your fitness.
What kind of cyclist doesn't want to buy a new bike ? 😁

Top Bottom