I found a good use for Coca Cola and cider vinegar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We made and sold woolly hats and were the pioneers of names and logos on them. To display them at Trade Shows they had cardboard inserts and were hung using copper wire. The wire had to be clean to avoid marks on the hats so I just bought a can of Coke and dipped the wire in that.
Came out lovely and shiny and perfectly clean.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think that cleaning up coins with acid like vinegar is frowned on in numismatist circles and will reduce the value of the coins. So if you have a genuinely valuable coin, don't dunk it in vinegar or it will become less valuable.

https://www.vintagecashcow.co.uk/blog/tips-and-tricks/how-to-clean-old-coins-hint-dont

It'll only work for copper/bronze coins, not gold, as gold doesn't tarnish.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It'll only work for copper/bronze coins, not gold, as gold doesn't tarnish
It works on real, as in not plated etc gold by cleaning built up dirt off the gold rather than penetrating the metal like it does with non valuable metals. That sounds ok, but when the gold item had been soaked and it comes up sparkling the item then shows all its scratches etc. Sometimes it's best to leave items in their built up over the years dirt. 🤔

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
The trouble with using corrosive cleaners on gold is that, although most won’t attack gold, they will attack the alloying metal, copper etc, leaving a microscopic layer of pure gold to crumble away. Never put anything on gold you wouldn’t put on a baby’s face. What we use in museums is very expensive, try shampoo and a soft cotton cloth instead.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The trouble with using corrosive cleaners on gold is that, although most won’t attack gold, they will attack the alloying metal, copper etc, leaving a microscopic layer of pure gold to crumble away. Never put anything on gold you wouldn’t put on a baby’s face. What we use in museums is very expensive, try shampoo and a soft cotton cloth instead.

I wouldn't have cleaned that 1807 penny if it was worth quite a bit, but with it only being worth a couple of quid I thought why not. I must admit, it doesn't resemble that old coin I've known for over 50 years, as the coin was as it was before coke/vinegar dunking when given to me in the 1960's. I have an old penny in a drawer, dating about 1905. Like the George The Third one it's gone very dark brown. I might dunk it just to see how it comes up. I'll check it online first to make sure it's not worth anything. If it is, though I very much doubt it, I'll leave it alone and maybe sell it.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I think I might have a genuine Faberge egg like this one.
bc-1332-4293-82aa-8a32a338939b_180x180_crop_center.jpg

https://bluejohngallery.co.uk/produ...amond-objet-limited-edition-1277da2316?varian in a drawer somewhere. If I can find it I might give it a dunk and see how it comes up. 🤔 :whistle:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I knew a mechanic who bought cheap coke to use in his foot pump degrease. Much cheaper.

DRM

Guru
I used to use coca cola to prevent stomach bugs causing a problem after kayaking on certain rivers and whitewater centres. App what's called classic or full sugar works but other brands and diet typesI'm not so sure. It's good stuff as not much survives after a gut full of the drink.

When running Scouts, we had a district camp at Aldwark Activity Centre, kayaking, all the kids were told to drink a can of Coca Cola to prevent stomach bugs/Gut rot too

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
By the way, this particular coin according to my grandma was kept in The Duke Of Wellington's pocket during the Battle of Waterloo, in case he felt the need to spend a penny. Hence the saying "To spend a penny" came about. I think she was bullshitting shooting, but you never know! 🤔 :whistle: ;)

Surely he would have made use of a Belgian tree, I don't think a local lav attendant would have accepted it!

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
In the days when aircraft commonly used rain repellent (horrible stuff) on the windscreens, Coke was one of the most effective ways of removing the residue.

Top Bottom