I give up, camera time...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thefollen

Veteran
Love the idea of a cycle camera- more for posterity rather than outing dodgy motorists. Could capture an excellent victory (or defeat) at SCR or an amusing sighting of something odd on the roads. Also great for capturing MTB runs. Like the wide-angle cams that accentuate speed!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I don't know the dogcam, I use a Go pro (great for daytime footage crap for night) and occasionally I dig out my old Veho Muvi..very cheap, very small and very disposable for more risky ventures (wont loose sleep if I lost or damaged it). But not waterproof in any way.

As for the choice to film. I've used my cams essentially as a black box recorder and delete almost all my footage without even reviewing it. If something interesting happens, or I film mates then i may publish the footage but i generally never use it to out bad driving (i think I may have one example on my channel...http://www.youtube.com/user/jonnygeez?feature=mhee...) I do also use it to film good driving experiences and have sent footage of drivers that who have (in my opinion) driver very well, to their employers to thank them.(that always confuses the viewers and their comments).

That said, for the last few months I've not mounted the cam and haven't really missed it, perhaps the summer will invite more attractive footage.

Jezston

Über Member
Maybe I'm out of touch but weren't the dogcam cameras not much better than the super cheapo chinese ebay cams?

ContourHDs are only £140 on Amazon at the mo ...

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have always thought I wouldn't wear a camera, but this morning.......

Then don't. I've been riding bikes at various stages of my life for more than 50 years and have yet to encounter a situation that would be improved by a helmet cam. I can see it's a bit of fun but the novelty would soon wear off.

Despite asking numerous times I've yet to read a rational defence of camera use other than the potential video evidence. Again once in 50+ years I've needed evidence resulting from a collision.

Wearing a camera will not reduce the number of incidents you encounter. It's a rather pointless exercise in my view.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Then don't.

Wearing a camera will not reduce the number of incidents you encounter. It's a rather pointless exercise in my view.

+1 :thumbsup:

OP
OP
johnnyh

johnnyh

Veteran
With enough camera users out there, reporting enough incidents of bad driving, we'll also change the way drivers behave around cyclists.

surely that has to be the hope... either that or oil prices reach such highs that cars are left at home ;)

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
anyone have an opinion on the dogcam v its wide variant?
They're ok for the money, get the wide over the normal. Slightly more detail gets captured.

Have you searched Youtube for videos using them? Not just cyclists but drivers, track day drivers, motorcyclists etc all use these sorts of cameras these days.

Top Bottom