I got a problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
My laptop is a Compaq Pressario CQ61 running Windows 7, and my browser of choice is Firefox. I connect wirelessly.

The past couple of days I have been having serious problems logging into CycleChat. When I click on "log in" the screen whites out and a Not Responding message shows at the top of the page. I have to close out Firefox to unfreeze the screen. I have the same problem on Internet Explorer and on Chrome, which I downloaded just to try it. At the moment I am on a Ubuntu live CD, and it works perfectly. I have looked through Google suggestions for the problem but without success and am now totally at a loss what to do next, short of installing Ubuntu which is a bit of a drastic remedy.

Has anyone any suggestions please.

Milo

Guru
Tried cleaning cookies and the cache?

Milo

Guru
Hmm I'm at something at a loss then. Could be a router problem but that does not explain why Ubuntu works fine. Hopefully somebody a bit more techie would know. Have you tried resetting your router as well?

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
I was thinking about resetting the router, but similar thought process to you. As Ubuntu works is it likely to be the router?

Octet

Veteran
Firstly, Woot to Ubuntu, Linux!

Normally, when it is only a single web page that is freezing, it is due to a long running script that is eating away at resources.
In terms of resource management, Ubuntu/Linux is hugely better then Windows.
It could be that, although slightly surprised about it being CycleChat, is that there is a script running in the background causing the problems?

Firefox should give an error if it happens repeatedly on the same webpage?

snorri

Legendary Member
anyone any suggestions please.
Do you have the Trusteer Rapport programme installed for Internet banking Compo?
I had a vaguely similar problem to the one you describe and someone on another website advised uninstalling that prog., it cleared the prob for me!
I remember a similar problem in the dim and distant which was cleared by dumping Rapport, although it was reinstalled at a later date and caused no probs for many months until yesterday.​

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Might be worth downloading something like MalwareBytes and running a full system scan (boot in Safe Mode and run it for the most impact)

Do you run a 64bit OS?

Have you installed any other software recently?

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
I had done most of the suggestions to date.
I decided to go the whole hog and do a total re-install which I finished a while ago. I have logged into CC a couple of times without issue so I may have sorted it. I don't keep a lot on my hard drive, and certainly nothing I would worry about losing.
Snorri came up with a good thought. I had Rapport installed, but of course following the reinstall it has gone. Be alright if that was the problem all along :wacko:

U

User6179

I had done most of the suggestions to date.
I decided to go the whole hog and do a total re-install which I finished a while ago. I have logged into CC a couple of times without issue so I may have sorted it. I don't keep a lot on my hard drive, and certainly nothing I would worry about losing.
Snorri came up with a good thought. I had Rapport installed, but of course following the reinstall it has gone. Be alright if that was the problem all along :wacko:

If your account is the administrator account then make another user account on your laptop as non administrator and see if that works, sometimes myself as the adminstrator account gets a lot of problems that other family user dont get as non administrators plus a good tip is always surf the net from non administrator account as its safer.

Top Bottom