I got within 2 metres of a dear yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i got to witness part of the rutting ritual the other week in the park. i was with a friend who'd never been there, but was visiting the area and wanted to see the place as i talk about it a lot.

she's seen autumnwatch and marveled at the stags there and i had joked that they could cut costs and film it in the park, but she didn't believe me. we were walking near a wooded section and saw a stag with a female... and then heard the bellowing of another stag and this massive fellow trundled out of the undergrowth, roaring its head off. the doe looked at him, looked at her, smaller companion and decided to head off with the bigger chap. the smaller stag decided he'd bellow a bit too... which just annoyed the large one, so it got nearer - meaning the other one backed away, towards us. we decided to hide behind a tree and watch for a while, until the smaller one got a true measure of what he was up against and ambled off, right past the tree we were behind.

my friend no longer laughs when i mention how scary the deer can be in the park.

on a different note... there are plans to have cattle in Richmond Park.

L

Patrick Stevens said:
How on earth do they cull them safely? They have to be shot with a rifle and the shooter has to make sure that there's a safe backstop in case he misses or the bullet goes straight through. This is normally done by shooting against a hillside. Are there any mini hills in Richmond Park?

there are lots of hills in the park. i've no idea how they do it, but high powered rifles are used as it says so on the warning notices at the gates - all access to the park has been stopped at nights now for a few weeks.

bring on the wolves!

L

Patrick Stevens said:
How on earth do they cull them safely? They have to be shot with a rifle and the shooter has to make sure that there's a safe backstop in case he misses or the bullet goes straight through. This is normally done by shooting against a hillside. Are there any mini hills in Richmond Park?

I'm told that the calibre of rifle they use, in conjunction with the ammo, means that the bullet doesn't exit, no matter the distance. Now the person who told me this then went on to explain about velocity of the bullet etc.. etc... but it rather went over my head, though he assured me that it didn't exit which is why assassins, the IRA and others used the same calibre and bullets. Of course it's a different matter if they miss but all hunters have to keep a certain standard otherwise they are not allowed to hunt.

longers

Legendary Member
laurence said:
you should have dragged a piece of yarn along the ground.

L

:biggrin::laugh::biggrin:.

I'd be very interested to know if that worked (using a very long piece of yarn).

Crackle said:
I'm told that the calibre of rifle they use, in conjunction with the ammo, means that the bullet doesn't exit, no matter the distance.

That's the theory, but occasionally it doesn't work. Just try asking the stalker if he'd be happy standing behind the deer while it's shot. :biggrin:

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Synchronicity or what?
On Questions, Questions, 3 p.m. today on Radio 4:
Traditionally, stags shed their antlers in Spring, to allow new horns to grow, but what happens to them once they’ve dropped? I often run through Richmond Park and have never seen antlers lying around.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Alan H said:
Synchronicity or what?
Traditionally, stags shed their antlers in Spring, to allow new horns to grow, but what happens to them once they’ve dropped? I often run through Richmond Park and have never seen antlers lying around.

<sigh> Why would they shed antlers and grow horns? The two are different things...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Stag knitting
deerajp7.jpg

Patrick Stevens said:
That's the theory, but occasionally it doesn't work. Just try asking the stalker if he'd be happy standing behind the deer while it's shot. :biggrin:

I'll pass thanks: I don't like to cast aspersions on the theories of people carrying guns :biggrin:

Alan H said:
Synchronicity or what?

Asylum seekers grind them up and use them as an aphrodisiac. :biggrin:

<could I sell this to the Daily Mail?:biggrin:>

Top Bottom