I hate laying carpets..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Is it just me that doesn't 'stick' carpets down, either with grippers or whatever? I cut them such that the edges slot neatly under the skirting, and have never had one go wandering...! What's the benefit to securing them? (other than across doorways, obviously)
They can "walk" due to the pressure of people walking across them. It's slow, but does build up over time.

A quick example would be to turn a piece upside down on a clear, hard floor. Then stepping on it repeatedly.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Me and the former Mrs Accy laid a carpet years ago. Jeez,was it a shoot job!!! We definitely should've paid a professional! I bought a new carpet and paid the shop owners to lay it,when i moved into my flat. I think it was about £150 to do two rooms,a landing,a staircase and the hard wearing stuff you have at the door. Well worth it!!

irw

Quadricyclist
They can "walk" due to the pressure of people walking across them. It's slow, but does build up over time.

A quick example would be to turn a piece upside down on a clear, hard floor. Then stepping on it repeatedly.

I see...Thinking about it, I've only tended to do carpets in the bedrooms, so there's usually plenty of bed/wardrobes etc that probably discourage the walking!

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I can't have carpets in the house, I sneeze too much. No matter how often I clean them, I still get fits of sneezes.

One of the advantages of living in Asia, no carpets. :okay:

screenman

Legendary Member
Is it just me that doesn't 'stick' carpets down, either with grippers or whatever? I cut them such that the edges slot neatly under the skirting, and have never had one go wandering...! What's the benefit to securing them? (other than across doorways, obviously)

Not many places have a gap between floorboards and skirting. Makes vacuuming easier if the carpet is attached to the floor.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I hate wall to wall carpet anyway. We don't have any in our house. All our floors on all three floors are either nice hardwood or laminate (basement). We use area rugs throughout. A nice area rug in the dining room. An area rug in the living room. Another on the sun porch. Area rugs in each bedroom. And two area rugs in the basement area that is finished. One for the lounge/video section and another for the music studio area. If we ever finish the third floor attic (which would give us four floors of living area), I might consider wall to wall up there unless we were to lay some hardwood up there as well. I suppose the one thing I'd probably use to justify wall to wall up there is that it is situated over 3 bedrooms and there's nothing worse than being woken up by someone walking around on the floor above you. So there ya go.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not many places have a gap between floorboards and skirting. Makes vacuuming easier if the carpet is attached to the floor.
If you are fitting carpets to a room with gaps between the skirting and floor over time you will get air borne dirt marks along the edge caused by the air coming from the cavity walls so they need to be sealed with mastic.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm not bad at fitting carpets. Had to fit our bedroom carpet last year but had to work round moving the bed divan around the room as we couldn't get it out, all made much harder by the cats thinking the rolled up carpet was a new hidey hole.

screenman

Legendary Member
If you are fitting carpets to a room with gaps between the skirting and floor over time you will get air borne dirt marks along the edge caused by the air coming from the cavity walls so they need to be sealed with mastic.

I know which is why when I built this house the boards went down close together. I decorate often most often yearly but a room seldom goes 2 without a change, carpets are always lifted and relaid, I am our carpet fitters best customer.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
The worst thing a bout laying carpets is that your bits itch for days aferwards...
What length of shag do you prefer?

how did we get this far without someone making this rubbish joke? Standards are slipping. @fnarr we need you back.

Top Bottom