I hate to trivialise the environmantal debate ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
It's actually quite accurate really. The Planet doesn't care and we are really just trying to save our chosen lifestyle rather then face change or extinction.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Thing is that very few people would admit that that is why we are so concerned about it. Few really give a stuff about the planet as they are too busy trying to preserve the stuff we like, where and how we like it.

Mike Thompson, environmentalist at CAT, was the first person I've heard say the same thing, that we are only saving the our life style not the planet.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Climate change wouldn't be a problem if the world wasn't so overpopulated. It wasn't in the past - people just moved around to find better growing conditions.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Rigid Raider said:
Climate change wouldn't be a problem if the world wasn't so overpopulated. It wasn't in the past - people just moved around to find better growing conditions.

For me, this is the crux of the problem, and one which they seem unwilling to confront.

If we really want to prevent global warming etc, we need to kill a couple of billion people.

Where do we start?

GaryA

Subversive Sage
That (accurate) satire has been around a while- i posted it in soapbox about a year ago
Tis true, humanity is completly and hopelessly addicted to the products of mass consumer civilisation...and nothing, no preaching, no leglislation, no campaigns, no technocratic revolution, no sudden acquisistion of wisdom going to change that salent and undeniable fact

Holocene extinction period...now.....nature has had enough, mass consciousness is a evolutionary failure, 10,000 years later all traces removed the planet breathes a huge sigh and gets on with the task, like it has always done, of conjuring something better adapted.....

Mr Pig

I like that. Look at earth's history and it has always changed. It's been frozen cold and sub-tropical and It'll change again. Who are we to say it shouldn't.

zimzum42 said:
If we really want to prevent global warming etc, we need to kill a couple of billion people. Where do we start?

The French?

domtyler

Über Member
Gary Askwith said:
That (accurate) satire has been around a while- i posted it in soapbox about a year ago
Tis true, humanity is completly and hopelessly addicted to the products of mass consumer civilisation...and nothing, no preaching, no leglislation, no campaigns, no technocratic revolution, no sudden acquisistion of wisdom going to change that salent and undeniable fact

Holocene extinction period...now.....nature has had enough, mass consciousness is a evolutionary failure, 10,000 years later all traces removed the planet breathes a huge sigh and gets on with the task, like it has always done, of conjuring something better adapted.....

You truly are an absolute nutter Askwith, seriously, you need to get help! :biggrin:

GaryA

Subversive Sage
User said:
The world isn't overpopulated, though. It is easily capable of sustaining a greater population.

QUOTE]
Afraid i take issue with that regulator.....the (long term) homeostasis of the Earth by the living biosphere requires a large-far larger than we have at the moment- land area to efficiently perform this function (human cultivated land area is inefficient)
And of course-possibly more important- healthy oceans and seas which are being relentlessly over exploited by, among other things, population pressure

domtyler

Über Member
Gary Askwith said:
Afraid i take issue with that regulator.....the (long term) homeostasis of the Earth by the living biosphere requires a large-far larger than we have at the moment- land area to efficiently perform this function (human cultivated land area is inefficient)
And of course-possibly more important- healthy oceans and seas which are being relentlessly over exploited by, among other things, population pressure

Seriously Gary, you really really need to go talk to someone friendly and get some advice on your health. They can do stuff for you guys having psychotic episodes nowadays.

Top Bottom