1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate to trivialise the environmantal debate ...

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Rhythm Thief, 9 Jun 2008.

1. ... but this is worth a read.:blush:

2. Night Train

Night Train Guest

It's actually quite accurate really. The Planet doesn't care and we are really just trying to save our chosen lifestyle rather then face change or extinction.

3. Yep. That's why it's good satire - it's actually correct, deep down.:blush:

4. Night Train

Night Train Guest

Thing is that very few people would admit that that is why we are so concerned about it. Few really give a stuff about the planet as they are too busy trying to preserve the stuff we like, where and how we like it.

Mike Thompson, environmentalist at CAT, was the first person I've heard say the same thing, that we are only saving the our life style not the planet.

5. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

Love The Daily Mash stuff. I come across folk that think it's 'real' as opposed to satire :blush:

6. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Climate change wouldn't be a problem if the world wasn't so overpopulated. It wasn't in the past - people just moved around to find better growing conditions.

7. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

Sod the human race, it's ME I'm concened about:evil:

8. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

9. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

For me, this is the crux of the problem, and one which they seem unwilling to confront.

If we really want to prevent global warming etc, we need to kill a couple of billion people.

Where do we start?

10. GaryA

GaryA Subversive Sage

That (accurate) satire has been around a while- i posted it in soapbox about a year ago
    Tis true, humanity is completly and hopelessly addicted to the products of mass consumer civilisation...and nothing, no preaching, no leglislation, no campaigns, no technocratic revolution, no sudden acquisistion of wisdom going to change that salent and undeniable fact

Holocene extinction period...now.....nature has had enough, mass consciousness is a evolutionary failure, 10,000 years later all traces removed the planet breathes a huge sigh and gets on with the task, like it has always done, of conjuring something better adapted.....

11. Mr Pig

Mr Pig New Member

I like that. Look at earth's history and it has always changed. It's been frozen cold and sub-tropical and It'll change again. Who are we to say it shouldn't.

The French?

12. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

Excellent suggestion, quickly followed by the Belgians.....

13. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

You truly are an absolute nutter Askwith, seriously, you need to get help! :biggrin:

14. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

The world isn't overpopulated, though. It is easily capable of sustaining a greater population.

What are the problems are inequity in resource distribution, an overdependence on certain resources (e.g. oil) and a unwillingness to accept that we may need to make what are relatively minor changes to our lifestyles.

Overpopulation isn't the problem - greed and selfishness are.

15. GaryA

GaryA Subversive Sage