I hate to trivialise the environmantal debate ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
User said:
I see where you're coming from. However, the scientists who specalise in population studies (at the places like the IDS at Brighton and DEV at UEA) have worked out the maximum population the Earth could sustain as being somewhere in the region of 10 billion, if there is equitable distribution of resources.

It may be 5 years old bit this is worth reading....the predictions are fairly accurate.....:ohmy:

And, for sustainability, global population will have to be reduced from the current 6.32 billion people to 2 billion-a reduction of 68% or over two-thirds. The end of this decade could see spiraling food prices without relief.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Ihate to trivialise the environmental debate, but...
flip-flops or sandals for the beach this summer? :ohmy:

domtyler

Über Member
Gary Askwith said:
It may be 5 years old bit this is worth reading....the predictions are fairly accurate.....:sad:

And, for sustainability, global population will have to be reduced from the current 6.32 billion people to 2 billion-a reduction of 68% or over two-thirds. The end of this decade could see spiraling food prices without relief.

You're always harping on about doing your bit, so it seems logical that you now do what your planet requires of you. So long Gary, it's been, er, emotional! :ohmy::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

LLB

Gary Askwith said:
It may be 5 years old bit this is worth reading....the predictions are fairly accurate.....:blush:

So if China and India go on a compulsory sterilisation program along with half the African states does that mean I can trade my 4x4 for one with a bigger engine? :biggrin:

GaryA

Subversive Sage
User said:
But that is an article talking about what needs to happen for one country to maintain it's current lifestyle. It's not a serious looks at population sustainability.

The findings can be extrapolated to most western economies though.....

This report is more global in reach

Theoretical calculations depending on redistribution of resources are academic since we all know that is nether the trend (in fact its being increasingly polarised) or even faintly plausible given the 'global realpolitik'.....sadly :biggrin:

Top Bottom