I have a couple of questions, as a bit confused

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I know many say weight isn't so important for e-bikes but for me they would both be a little on the heavy side - the Dimanche 29.3, 18.8kg , and the Dimanche 28.7, 16.9kg.
I often need to load my bikes in the car and the 13 -15kg mine weigh when complete with pedals, bottles, saddle pack etc is about my limit

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I know many say weight isn't so important for e-bikes but for me they would both be a little on the heavy side - the Dimanche 29.3, 18.8kg , and the Dimanche 28.7, 16.9kg.
I often need to load my bikes in the car and the 13 -15kg mine weigh when complete with pedals, bottles, saddle pack etc is about my limit

I am quite strong, also I have an MPV type car, with a flat boot so hefting bikes in is not really a massive issue. It is way easier with my Picasso and my Genesis (not light) than with my VW Polo. I have lifted chap’s Dimanche in a couple of times. Also I do weight lift around 5 times a week so I am strong. Lifting odd shapes, like bikes is trickier but there is often 2 of us and it’s a lot lighter than either of the tandems. They go on the roof rack, so that can be a smidge interesting.
The Genny is 12.2kg without bottles, pedals, saddlebag etc on and I do lift that about quite easily, now I have the Picasso. It was a flipping pain in the sit-upon, in my Polo

I have tried friend’s e-bikes, not nice roadie types, but step through types, and I agree, they weigh an awful lot.

Front hub motors are a good option, they are much easier to remove just unplug the cable, loosen the nuts and take out. There is less weight at the front of a bike so less likely to get a puncture at least for heavier riders. For legal motor systems they have plenty of traction and grip and a huge amount of kits are front based included Swytch. Having the hub motor at the front means you can have your normal gearing at the rear with full length spokes for comfort. The steering might be a little heavier but some people prefer it as it can feel more stable. You also have two wheel drive which can add to safety on loose surfaces and help level tyre wear between both wheels plus of course you can have a normal drivetrain with a 3x or 2x crankset if you want that with a front derailleur. If you are fitting a kit to a bike a throttle becomes legal as the law is more relaxed when it comes to kits.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/dft-pedal-cycles-converted-twist-go-exempt-type-approval/

Also mid-drives do have their own issues, they wear down the drivetrain much faster and chain snaps are much more common as you are delivering both the riders own power and the motor's through the same chain. Mid-drive motors are also typically less reliable and more proprietary so much higher costs and depreciation plus they often become unrepairable after a few years because the cost of replacement batteries, frames or motors is prohibitive and people end up scrapping them.

Ultimately its all about weighing up all the pros and cons for your specific use. I'm personally not keen on proprietary ebike solutions either mid-drive or hub motor I think these often high cost, short life products are less than ideal for the environment.

fasteasyfree

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I'd recommend that you get a physio to check you over before you go making big purchasing decisions. The last thing you want is to spend a not insignificant amount of money on something that makes things worse for you.

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I'd recommend that you get a physio to check you over before you go making big purchasing decisions. The last thing you want is to spend a not insignificant amount of money on something that makes things worse for you.

It was the idea of the physio to go with an ebike as I live in a hilly (for Norfolk) area. I see my physio reasonably often, at this time of year.
I have always been fit, ridden since childhood and used to be a good runner too.
I do HIIT both body weight and dumbbell sessions, Kettlebell sessions too plus Barre and Yoga. Most of me is in good nick, riding up hills though, even with a bike fit and a great bike, is giving me issues. I have a lovely ergonomic work chair, the one that I was advised by the works physio to get.
Back in 1983 I did manage to break my back, pelvis, left leg, buggered up a bunch of ribs and did some fairly serious damage to my left shoulder and upper arm. Very lucky not to break my neck. I did not fall off the horse, it fell over then the clumsy oaf rolled on me a smidge. Luckily, I sunk in to some nice fresh plough. I am quite bloody minded and got fit again. It took a while. Dangerous things, horses. I still ride, from time to time as I like to keep my hand in.
That Dimanche roadie, fits really well. It will need a tweak, here and there, the flared bars are gorgeous. The saddle was torture. I believe that a Fizik Aliante is the most uncomfortable thing I have ever sat on. Bloke has a Dimanche and has had it 3 years soon and, as yet, it’s not skipped a beat. He uses it to commute 7 miles each way to work (he has a weird knee which hates the cold), unless it’s raining which is what, he says, that VWs were invented for.

Nytsom

I've got two crank drive eBike, Boardman hybrid with Fazua motor and Specialized Creo SL. The Creo is/was very expensive but what a bike. At 12.7kg it's not even that heavy, am currently trying very hard to resist NOT buying some lovely carbon aero wheels.......

View attachment 682608

I can also confirm changing the inner tube at the side of the road is as easy as it is on a normal bike :smile:.

View attachment 682607

Hi, like the look of the Creo .. What model is this one? carbon or Aluminium ? Specialized use their own motor I believe? Would you buy another Creo? Some say that 15.5 mph is OK but a lot of drag when going above the cut off speed of assistance ? Some of my rides are bordering on 18mph average, so would be riding on the flat at well over 20/ 25 mph. would a Creo hold me back at those speeds?

youngoldbloke

Hi, like the look of the Creo .. What model is this one? carbon or Aluminium ? Specialized use their own motor I believe? Would you buy another Creo? Some say that 15.5 mph is OK but a lot of drag when going above the cut off speed of assistance ? Some of my rides are bordering on 18mph average, so would be riding on the flat at well over 20/ 25 mph. would a Creo hold me back at those speeds?

If you average 18mph I can't see the point of you riding an e-bike. At higher speeds you'll just be riding a heavy bike, (albeit a nice one) so you're bound to feel some drag just because your pushing such a weight.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I thought the whole point with an ebike is 15mph/25 kmh/whatever is enough, and if you want to go faster than that (or if your battery dies) you will find yourself pushing a big lumpy beast along.

Not that I know anything. I don't go that fast anyway on my non electric lumpy beast.

gzoom

Über Member
@Nytsom The Creo is amazing, I wish I had bought it sooner, its literally like having double the power up a hill. Zero resistance at over 15.5mph.

I haven’t used it properly since the Newyears break as I’ve decided its too nicer bike to use over winter, so the Boardman eBike has been taking all the work. Will get out on it more as the weather improves.

52598566525_d71e32468c_c_d.jpg

52598134706_dc9586f8e9_c_d.jpg

gzoom

Über Member
If you average 18mph I can't see the point of you riding an e-bike. At higher speeds you'll just be riding a heavy bike, (albeit a nice one) so you're bound to feel some drag just because your pushing such a weight.

My average speed is around 17-18mph, the Creo isn’t much heavier than an unassisted Trek Domane, you do feel the extra weight when ‘sprinting’ but its in a different league compared to my Boardman which feels awful to ride out of the saddle.

The Creo is nice bike I look forwards too riding, just like my unassisted Trek Madone.

52600604053_f09d5d7493_c_d.jpg

youngoldbloke

I'm surprised your Domane is that heavy. Why e-road bikes if you can average that kind of speed? When are you using assistance, just to help up the hills?
If it's just fun to ride - fair enough! :okay:

I thought the whole point with an ebike is 15mph/25 kmh/whatever is enough, and if you want to go faster than that (or if your battery dies) you will find yourself pushing a big lumpy beast along.

Not that I know anything. I don't go that fast anyway on my non electric lumpy beast.

Im on a Raleigh Motus.

It's a lumpy beast for sure but I don't find myself pushing it, on flats or any downhill it rolls very well and I don't notice the weight. Uphill the motor helps me along.

My average none electric is around 11-12, I've increased that to 13 with electric 😆

Top Bottom