I have a couple of questions, as a bit confused

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
The only time an ebike seems a big lumpy beast when cycling along IME is when the battery is that low the assist is only put on for the steeper uphill bits; the extra weight adds to its momentum on the level and down grade while up grade is compensated by the assist. Mine this year has averaged 79ft/mile of climbing with the assist only being used for upgrades and strong headwinds to ensure the battery is never overly depleted that quickly. It is crank driven rather than hub and that is of clear use on steep hills where I have left hub driven ebikes way behind.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
The only time an ebike seems a big lumpy beast when cycling alongh IME is when the battery is that low
...or when riding above 15.5 MPH.

Your comment about hub driven bikes and hill climbing is interesting. I have one of each there is no detectable difference between the two in their climbing ability. None, nada, nowt, and my weight is a severe test of a system of any sort.

If you're leaving others behind it is for other reasons, most likely their legs/lungs aren't as strong as yours.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
My Ribble SLe is certainly not a 'big lumpy beast' but it's still not as easy my 8kg Rose was at that sort of speed. Before I bought my first e-road bike I used to ride with the club training group (the 'slow' group) on a traffic-free car-racing circuit and the group would be riding at 22 - 23 mph within the first couple of laps before starting 'through and off'. The session would last around 30 min at high speed, and on a good day I could last most of that time, taking my turns on the front. I tried riding with them on my Orbea Gain, and no way could I stay with them for more than one or two laps - about 3 miles. Admittedly my leg issues were getting worse but the extra weight of the e-bike was a great disadvantage, and I had to give up on the activity.

gzoom

Über Member
I'm surprised your Domane is that heavy. Why e-road bikes if you can average that kind of speed? When are you using assistance, just to help up the hills?
If it's just fun to ride - fair enough! :okay:

Why do we do anything? The Creo was my 2nd eBike, its now been treated like a garage queen, but it wouldn't be the last eBike I buy.

For me am not wasting money on another analogue bike again, why? Just because I enjoy riding my eBike far more than my analogue bikes.

Flipping weird handling with a front hub IMO

Maybe for heavier direct drive hub motors but for lighter geared hub motors its not really mentioned even when the battery pack is on the handlebars. However direct drive hub motors on the rear can feel a bit dead/harsh as the short thick spokes means there is no springy ness to the wheel at all and can feel quite unpleasant depending on thickness and pressure of tyres so I feel they work better at the front for me even though it might feel like you are riding a motorcycle or moped rather than a bicycle in steering terms. Some of the geared hub motors are not much bigger and heavier than a Nexus geared hub so don't see the issue there. They are small and light enough to not drastically change the feel of the bike. Also with less weight at the front the bearings typically last longer too. A huge number of ebikes and ebike kits are based around front hub motors many of which are very well reviewed.

Top Bottom