I have a dream. Dream of having my own brand mtb.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Thank you for your input Cubist. I see your point about quality base model not being feasible at 400 to 600 unless I make a huge investment.
I don't have a particular design in mind. I'm not technical. I'm more of a marketing/branding person. Having said that I do have a strong sense of what I like and what I enjoy riding. I recently rode the Voodoo bizango and really loved it. To me it felt and rode better than some bikes that are priced over £1000. Also I think the brand "Voodoo" is strong, memorable and quirky. In a way I think maybe Voodoo has shot itself in the foot by going exclusive with halfords but that's another story .... What I'm trying to get at is; I think the marriage between good quality frame/components and strong brand & identity can work well. So a quality frame deigned in the UK with a strong British identity could work well and probably more so if the right balance between quality/cost and brand/identity is struck. So to answer your question; no I don't have a frame in mind, but if I were to take on this challenge (and it is a big if at this stage) then I would be looking for a frame deigner. Importing ready-made carbon frames from China would not appeal to me. Thanks again
In which case go and google Cotic. Si developed a frame concept and ethos that dates back to his initial love of MTBing. He produces frames in several variants, Soul, Solaris, BFe, Rocket, Roadrat and a CX frame which name escapes me. His signature is steel frames, and the major success the Soul has now been re marketed in 650b. His site gives a flavour plus a potted history, but doesn't quite encapsulate the niche fervour that his brand engenders. A quick search of singletrackworld.com using the terms Cotic or steel hardtail will give you that taste.

Brand mystique is another key factor along with Niche. Look at Hope for a feeling of what they have built up over the years.. Mythical quality, and a great solid " designed and crafted" in the Pennines sort of thing. They are expensive and questionable in terms of performance, but their customer service and fan base are the key.

Another famous UK frame designer is Brant Richards. He used to be the "shedfire" brand that designed for Ragley. He's parted company with them and now works with On One. He has redesigned or tweaked their famous hardtail stable and they have also bought up an old US brand, Titus and now have a selection of full suss bikes on offer. They do import Chinese carbon.

OP
OP
silverman

silverman

In which case go and google Cotic. Si developed a frame concept and ethos that dates back to his initial love of MTBing. He produces frames in several variants, Soul, Solaris, BFe, Rocket, Roadrat and a CX frame which name escapes me. His signature is steel frames, and the major success the Soul has now been re marketed in 650b. His site gives a flavour plus a potted history, but doesn't quite encapsulate the niche fervour that his brand engenders. A quick search of singletrackworld.com using the terms Cotic or steel hardtail will give you that taste.

Brand mystique is another key factor along with Niche. Look at Hope for a feeling of what they have built up over the years.. Mythical quality, and a great solid " designed and crafted" in the Pennines sort of thing. They are expensive and questionable in terms of performance, but their customer service and fan base are the key.

Another famous UK frame designer is Brant Richards. He used to be the "shedfire" brand that designed for Ragley. He's parted company with them and now works with On One. He has redesigned or tweaked their famous hardtail stable and they have also bought up an old US brand, Titus and now have a selection of full suss bikes on offer. They do import Chinese carbon.

Thank you so much Cubist. I really appreciate your input. I will definitely look them up this weekend. :-)

KneesUp

Guru
If you could do "British Made" £400 to £600 no-one would buy them because the perception would be that they wouldn't be any good, regardless of how good they were - people seem to want to spend £1000 on a bike these days. Of course if you could afford to sell them at £400 to £600 and sold them for 9 months of the year at £1000 and 3 months at £500, you'd be a happy chap I suppose.

Top Bottom