I have a fixie!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Young Un said:
nah, i cba to waste my good ones on you - youre not worth it:biggrin:

Be careful not YC, Kovu will tell you off again for using text speak.:ohmy:

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Urm Joe that is a very good question - as i dont know the answer - only picked the bike up today and it was raining and so i got the bike in the shed as quickly as possible and there isnt much light in there so i couldn't count it // see the markings. might be able to get a pic tomorrow and find out the gearing - although I think I am going to be out for most of the day.

Joe24

Young Un said:
Urm Joe that is a very good question - as i dont know the answer - only picked the bike up today and it was raining and so i got the bike in the shed as quickly as possible and there isnt much light in there so i couldn't count it // see the markings. might be able to get a pic tomorrow and find out the gearing - although I think I am going to be out for most of the day.

Get counting YC, have fun:laugh:

Kovu

Über Member
Joe24 said:
Mmmmmm i admire my shiny silver one, and my new back hub with deep-ish proifile back rim. :ohmy::becool:

Boys and thier toys and trying to better the others. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

i will try and get a piccy asap - its a bit dark now to get a good one - i will try on saturday;)

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

went out on it in the street for the first time tonight - man thats a wierd feeling, but i got used to it quickly and i know enjoy, leg braking is suprisingly effective I found. I tried doing a fixie skid but i couldnt and didnt have the courage to do it standing up (it was getting dark and i couldnt see much so i didnt push my luck)

Joe24

Young Un said:
went out on it in the street for the first time tonight - man thats a wierd feeling, but i got used to it quickly and i know enjoy, leg braking is suprisingly effective I found. I tried doing a fixie skid but i couldnt and didnt have the courage to do it standing up (it was getting dark and i couldnt see much so i didnt push my luck)

You'll struggle to do a skid sitting down at first, alot harder. If you havent got your clipless pedals on it, wack them on. Clip in then stand up, lean right forward(dont go too fast at first) and when the leading leg(i use my right) gets to pointing forward i pull up on the pedal, then push down with my left.
Take it easy, do it on slippy ground at first, and if you feel it pulling on your groin muscle(like it did with me) take it easy.
I can do it sitting down now, but when i first started i couldnt do it.
Dont be too scared of it YC, relax on it. Whe you go to go down a hill move forward on the seat and relax your legs. The relaxing of your legs takes some practice, i found i was still pedling when going down hill. Once you get used to the feeling of the pedals kicking your feet around(i just feel my legs going around, dont feel the pedals moving them around) you will be able to go faster.
Relax on it, clipless is much better on it i think, i felt i had alot more control of the pedals when i was clipless then when i had flats and straps. Better for leg breaking. Dont just be doing leg breaking to slow you down at first, this will hurt your knees i found, use your legs and the front brake, and slowly use your legs to brake more, but still use the front brake.
Time i like to ride is when the road surface is wet, lots of skids and fun:laugh:
You found out what gear you on yet YC?

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

not found the gear yet - barely enough light to see i was getting the right bike out of the shed;). might be going clipless on it (spd) if i get some moeny for christmas, or I might just spend the rest of my savings now. whcich pedals/shoes are you using joe?

Joe24

I have M520s on the fixed with my old shoes i got from Decathalon, the BTwin ones. Because im cheap, i do plan to get some shoes that i can walk properly in, not got round to it yet.
I have the 105 SPD/SL's on the Giant, they are fine to be clipping in with.
But, i dont have the problems now, i can do a big ride and clip in when i start and next time i unclip is when i get home.:biggrin::becool:
I have also now learned how to bunny hop on my fixed as i go along, i jumped over a gap in the road, i was well impressed:becool:

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

:biggrin:track tanding show off - i love it when you can do a ride and not have to stop at any of the junstions, just makes the ride flow so much better.

Joe24

Young Un said:
:biggrin:track tanding show off - i love it when you can do a ride and not have to stop at any of the junstions, just makes the ride flow so much better.

Got to love track standing, even better when you go no handed for abit:laugh:
Try and bunny hop on the fixed, that will get you confused;)

Top Bottom