I have a serious question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Just read in a book: "If the boundaries of what you are studying cannot be scientifically determined, what you are doing is not science." Is this true?

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Just read in a book: "If the boundaries of what you are studying cannot be scientifically determined, what you are doing is not science." Is this true?
What book?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Ask Brian Cox. Lots of people study the universe, the boundaries of which can’t be determined.

lane

Veteran
Ask Brian Cox. Lots of people study the universe, the boundaries of which can’t be determined.

Just asked my son and that is the answer he gave me. Well he used the example f studying the start of the universe when we do not know what came before but said it is still science.

Brains

Legendary Member

The boundaries of what we can see within the universe can be determined, however we have an opinion the Universe may be bigger than we can see.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Surely the point of scientific research is to explore the boundaries? The boundaries could be technical, ethical, economic or other. Anyway, capitalism is not a science. It is an economic system.

Ha Joon Chang was saying that the boundaries of a free market could not be objectively ascertained. Markets are not free as they were because you cannot buy slaves, or employ children. Therefore economics is not a science like many economists say it is.

I am not 100% convinced.

Top Bottom