I have just been told I have to foster a child

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fnaar said:
You might find he actually annexes the next-door garden for you; also, don't let hime place his towel on the kitchen chair, or you'll ahve to stand up to eat your brekky....

Oh dear, the Stan Baldwin comedy routine. You forgot the 'dey bombed owr chippy' line :smile:

Mind you Baldwin's been superseded by Al Murray, also a tosser.

Sorry Fnaar, the German jokes get a bit wearing sometimes :biggrin: Ignore me, it's just me, probably make others laugh :biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Crackle said:
Sorry Fnaar, the German jokes get a bit wearing sometimes :biggrin: Ignore me, it's just me, probably make others laugh :biggrin:
Apols, I was getting carried away...:smile:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I must admit, the idea of being sent to live with another family for two months would have filled me we dread at 14, even more so with it being in a foreign country where I didn't speak the lingo very well.

Maz

Guru
Yellow Fang said:
I must admit, the idea of being sent to live with another family for two months would have filled me we dread at 14, even more so with it being in a foreign country where I didn't speak the lingo very well.
Same here. At that age, I think the first call back home to mum and dad would end up with me blubbering away, begging them to come and take me home.

(so be prepared, BTFB...)

Will1985

Über Member
This makes me furious - I have spent many months on exhange visits in the past 13 years (first aged 10 to Italy for a month) and the parents reciprocated it by taking in a foreign student, not just for me but also my sisters and their exhanges. IMO an educational visit/exchange does not have anything to do with the pen pushers who fill up various governmental organisations supposedly looking after the welfare of subjects.

What are Europeans going to think of us when they find out all the bureaucracy that an English family has to go through to house their child on a school visit? It is absolute madness and a waste of time.

We (as a nation) will never be looked upon as equals or with as much respect as other European nations because of this, and I have to say that most Europeans I have met on my travels have a common impression of Brits already which is pretty negative and is sadly dawning on me that some things are true.

I can see that perhaps the parents might be happy to know that their child is in non-criminal hands, but at the same time you hold this concern of why the checks are being done in the first place.

Yellow Fang said:

But think of the pleasure it would give your parents.

ChrisKH

Guru
My sister went to Paris for a month and fell out with the girl she stayed with in the first few days. Cue her mother turning into a bitch from hell so she spent the best part of a month avoiding the pair of them. :sad:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Yellow Fang said:

I'd've jumped at the chance, personally!

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...My son has already been on a two week exchange to Arles in France last year. He has also spent many months in Germany without M&D at my sister in laws. He is fluent in German. Last summer he attended a council funded set of summer courses in Achern for teenagers. He did Drama classes, music classes, Go karting and made lot's of new friends. He even got into the local rag over there because he won the Go karting competition! He is booked onto a similar thing this summer and has chosen to study film production and film soundtrack production. He is 100% confident over there.

In July he will go on another exchange for 2 weeks to Heidelburg. That trip has teachers from his own school in attendence, however the trip to Frankfurt for 2 months is not attended by his schools teachers, he will be 100% on his own, which he thinks is superb I have to say!

The social worker garbage only relates to the longer exchange because it exceeds a 28 day deadline or something.

Top Bottom