I have just started commuting to work 13 miles per day any advise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

domtyler said:
I dread to think what he does with his urine!! xx(:ohmy::blush:

If he lives north o' the border, he drinks it, by the mug fu' as Goo says. If he lives south o' the border, he talks it.

Maz

Guru
Tetedelacourse said:
If he lives north o' the border, he drinks it, by the mug fu' as Goo says. If he lives south o' the border, he talks it.
I play with my wii.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
You'll need to think of some witty replies to the colleagues who will ask you whether you cycled to work while you're standing in front of them in your cycling gear. And when they ask you whether you cycled in "in this weather" in precisely the same situation.

bonj2

* travel as light as possible - if you need clothes for getting changed etc then take them in all on one day, either in panniers or just drive
* try out different routes to find out which is the best
* carry at least 2 spare tubes
* have GOOD lights, and a good size of reflectiveness on back if going on unlit roads

OP
OP
B

Breatnac

Hi, Thanks for the advice. I have just got a Ridgeback Element and powerful lights, I have been getting advice off a lot of people and because of this I carry waterproofs, a spare innertube, mini cyclist toolkit and pump. I live near Cambrige which is Cyclist central, so I am in good company here, just no hills around here to practice on the the L2B.

Tynan

Veteran
tube arse, if you can fix punctures the chance of needing a spare tube are miniscule and if you're in town there's usually a bike shop within reach

saves removing the wheel and saves money, no idea what's with cyclists these days, too good to fic puncture

OP
OP
B

Breatnac

Spare innertubes

I carry a spare innertube after reading some advice in a book which said, if you have a spare innertube you can quickly replace the innertube at the side of the road and worry about fixing your flat one when you return home. It saves you trying to find and fix a puncture at the side of the road or in bad weather.

Not only do I cycle in town but countryside as well, I have been 20 miles from a cycle shop two weekends ago

Maz

Guru
I carry a spare inner for the reason you state, but like tynan said you can just carry a repair kit if you want. I carry some patches if I'm unlucky enough to get a second puncture!

bonj2

You dont' need books, so save your money for other stuff. You can read any information on maintenance etc you need on the internet (not least on here).
However the bit about innertubes is right, albeit obvious - there's no way you're going to be wanting to faff around with patches and glue at the side of the road.

surfgurl

palinurus said:
You'll need to think of some witty replies to the colleagues who will ask you whether you cycled to work while you're standing in front of them in your cycling gear. And when they ask you whether you cycled in "in this weather" in precisely the same situation.

I've been cycling to work for almost 18 months and I still get this every day.

Top Bottom