I have just started commuting to work 13 miles per day any advise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

palinurus said:
You'll need to think of some witty replies to the colleagues who will ask you whether you cycled to work while you're standing in front of them in your cycling gear. And when they ask you whether you cycled in "in this weather" in precisely the same situation.

Some dear, at a meeting I regularly attended having got there by bike, as per usual, looked at me in my usual cycling kit & said "Oh, have you come on your bike then?" My response was "No, I just have a thing about Lycra..." That confused her! xx(

dudi

I my opinion, what you carry with you depends on 2 things:

1) where you are travelling (i.e. how far you will be from a cycle shop at any one time.
2) how much you want to be prepared for any circumstances.

My commute is only 3 miles, if i take the direct route. but by this time I'm just getting warmed up and am dissapointed on a nice day that I have arrived. So i have extended the route to 12 miles each way. I don't take a spare tube, just a few self doing patches. as where I go, you're never more than a few miles from a bike shop.

Colthes wise. I take a ruksack, in it I have spare underwear (a must when it is raining), trousers, shirt, tie & lunch. I leave shoes, jacket & "freshening up" products at work.

We don't have a shower at work (more's the pity) so I use those baby wipe type things... they're really very good.

Leave yourself plenty of time each day for commuting by bike. it take a lot longer for several reasons.

1) you have to eat before you leave... otherwise you won't make it!
2) you're slower than a car
3) if you get a puncture you don't want to have to use that as an excuse for your tardiness.
4) it will take you a while to cool down and get presentable after cycling in that distance.

I leave with about 30 minutes extra time than I "ought to need". 99 times out of 100 i will arrive 30 minutes early, but I'd rather that than be late.

best bit of advice i've had is this:

"Enjoy it, it's not a race"

Top Bottom