I have purchased...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mortiroloboy

a set of Decathlon Isoprotech 12 ltr pannier bags. for the princely sum of £9.99 from my local Oxfam charidee shop:biggrin:.
I have a question...on the back/inside edge, i.e. the side of the panniers which faces the wheels, are two pieces of stretchy elastic with a wire 'S' hook at the end, one each side, there are also a series of three 'D' rings at the bottom and one at the top of the bag, also on the inside edge.
Does anyone here know how these stretchy elastic and 'S' hooks/'D' rings are meant to connect? The panniers are secured to the rack by way of two diagonally opposed clips that clip in and fasten over the top tube of the pannier

I have tried threading the elastic through the top 'D' ring inside the pannier rack, and through the bottom 'D' ring, then attaching the 'S' hook to the bottom tube of the pannier rack, but this doesn't actually appear to serve any purpose, such as stopping the pannier bags from "flapping". There is insufficient stretch to allow the 'S' ring take the elastic to the bottom of the rack where it joins the mudguard eyelet.

Apart from this what an absolute bargain, I get a brand new pair of £30 panniers for a tenner, and Oxfam get enough money to feed an Ethiopian family for a month.:wahhey:

Your help and guidance would be greatly apprciated.

shimano

this is the best i can find on the 'net

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/isoprotech-touring-2x12-l-17253585/#

not much (any) help I'm afraid...

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

shimano said:
this is the best i can find on the 'net

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/isoprotech-touring-2x12-l-17253585/#

not much (any) help I'm afraid...

Yes, thank you, I had found that already, it was helpful in as much as it showed the right way round to fit them on the pannier rack (although they were new, never used) there was no instruction leaflet with them, (but the previous owner had left instructions for fitting a seatpost) in the bag!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
From your description, it sounds like the attachments are similar to those on my panniers, bought from EdBikeCoop ages ago.

On mine, the instructions are to thread the elastic through one of the D-rings and attach the (S-hook) end to the bottom of the rack where it joins the mudguard eyelet. The 3 D-rings are there for you to choose which one is most suitable; only one is in use at any time. Basically, it is a simple system for holding the pannier close to the rack and stop it swinging/flapping around.

When putting the pannier on to the bike, I hook the bottom end on, then stretch the elastic a little, sufficient to get the top bit hooked on. Works quite well and if I find the pannier flapping, I adjust the elastic by moving it up a D-ring.

HTH
:angry:

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

Thanks scoosh, I don't think there is enough stretch in the elastic, but will try again.

We are lucky here in Newbury, the Charity shops are well stocked as the area is fairly affluent, which is reflected in the quality of the donations.

Both myself and Mrs M are keen supporters of all the charity shops .:rolleyes:

GrahamG

Guru
Posh charity shops = posh prices but some good donations. That said, it's great that they no longer seem to have the stigma attached to them.

There is one downside to them though - freecycle. That must do them out of a fair bit of kit.

Tynan

Veteran
I bought some cheap panniers from ebay with two elastic s hooked straps on the inside

I never really found a sensible use for them and eventually they frayed from catching on the wheel and a lot of them ended up in the cassette, so shoot basically

speant proper money on proper panniers and realised what a false economy the cheap ones had been

OP
OP
M

Mortiroloboy

I paid £9.99 cos they were from Oxfam (unused) if I had purchased them from Decathlon, they would have cost me £30 I don't call that cheap, I'll probably take the elastic bungee things off, as when loaded they seem to be weighty enough to stay put.

Top Bottom