I hit a dog yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blonde

Well I suppose I meant they seem a bit daft to us. There's no reason a dog would know not to run in front of a bike, of course, unless it's owner has taught it not to or it has learnt from previous experience - like with an infant human; they have to learn not to do it. My parents dog doesn't seem to have that kind of learning ability though - or at least it's rather selective. Oddly, she learns very quickly if it has anything to do with food or how to open the fridge door...

bonj2

When I was doing my paper round when I was about 14 I once totalled a dog. It ran out from a remote farm and my front wheel completely missed it but it got run over by my back wheel, at full speed aswell as I didn't brake 'cos I thought I could pass the trajectory in which it was running before it got there, but it was running quite fast. I have no idea whether or not it lived, but I shouted 'that thing should be locked up!' into the farm and rode off quickly, fortunately I was on relief cover so it wasn't my round and I could make sure i didn't do that one again.

bonj2

dog being run over in the TdF:

one thing I wondered: is that a slow-motion film? Because if not he doesn't appear to be going that fast! I would have thought he could have stopped or swerved if he was only going that speed, but the way in which his front wheel seemed to buckle made me think perhaps it was slowed down and that was in fact a high-speed crash? If so does anybody have a link to the correct speed version, or can speed it up on their pc with video editor or something?

And why was it allowed on the course/to cross the course in the first place? This would never be allowed to happen in formula 1, comical though it would inevitably be.

andy_wrx said:
I thought you were about 14 Bonj ?

Funny aren't you.

domtyler

Über Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
...well My view fwiw is that it all depends on where it happened...dogs have rights as well. Case in point would be the MTBr's at the park we walk out mut in...they are leathal, rude and in the wrong place.

That's just silly. Animals don't have rights, humans do. Also parks are for humans not dogs.

That said, the rider should have been going slower to begin with if he was in the vicinity of dogs on the loose out of respect and for his own safety.

domtyler said:
Animals don't have rights, humans do.
Animals have some rights, but I agree with you they have less than people
- however I'll say that this is a wrong state of affairs !

domtyler said:
Also parks are for humans not dogs.
Rot ! Parks are for people : both those without dogs and those with dogs - but it's incumbent on them to keep those dogs under control and not let them foul where it would bother anyone.
Certain areas, like children's play areas may not allow dogs, but not the whole park.

bonj said:
dog being run over in the TdF:

one thing I wondered: is that a slow-motion film? Because if not he doesn't appear to be going that fast! I would have thought he could have stopped or swerved if he was only going that speed, but the way in which his front wheel seemed to buckle made me think perhaps it was slowed down and that was in fact a high-speed crash? If so does anybody have a link to the correct speed version, or can speed it up on their pc with video editor or something?

The wheel buckled because it's not meant to take a load in that direction i.e. it was turned 90 degrees to dead straight.

The owner looked very sheepish though.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Paulus said:
Arn't all dogs supposed to be on a lead in all public places?

No they are supposed to be under control, a dog can be under control when off the lead, but sadly many owners don't understand that. I was passing a dog one time when the own called it, the stupid mutt turned and tried to walk trough my front wheel. It didn't half give out a yelp, poor thing. If owner would only learn to keep their dogs under control and out of harms way it would greatly help.

gavintc

Guru
andy_wrx said:
Animals have some rights, but I agree with you they have less than people
- however I'll say that this is a wrong state of affairs !

Rot ! Parks are for people : both those without dogs and those with dogs - but it's incumbent on them to keep those dogs under control and not let them foul where it would bother anyone.
Certain areas, like children's play areas may not allow dogs, but not the whole park.

However, most owners view parks as dog toilets and I concur that dogs should be banned from parks. Why should a dog be allowed to run free, leaving its horrid little deposits everywhere?

longers

Legendary Member
gavintc said:
However, most owners view parks as dog toilets and I concur that dogs should be banned from parks. Why should a dog be allowed to run free, leaving its horrid little deposits everywhere?

It's never the dog's fault.

It's all down to the owner and whether they are a responsible guardian for the animal. All the dog does is what comes naturally - I've never seen a dog thats been trained to pick up after itself - the owner should pick up after the dog. I really think that if you need training to pick up after a dog you haven't got the intelligence or sense of moral responsibilty to look after an animal.

I actually met a bloke the other week who thought it should be the councils job to clean up after his dog!

In regard to the original post - you can rest easy, no harm done.

longers

Legendary Member
P.S. My dog is allegedly intelligent and is easily trained and capable of learning but still has a death wish with bikes. When we're out and I'm on my bike she's great and never gets in the way but has no idea about not getting in front of other peoples bikes.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
longers said:
P.S. My dog is allegedly intelligent and is easily trained and capable of learning but still has a death wish with bikes. When we're out and I'm on my bike she's great and never gets in the way but has no idea about not getting in front of other peoples bikes.

Try using the command SIT, if it told to sit and does so in good time there should no problem in passing it. If your dog won't sit on command then keep it on a lead. Simple.

Noodley

Jesus H Christ - this thread has become the Barbara Woodhouse school of cycling etiquette for dogs!

Top Bottom