I just came home and my front door is wide open!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ste T.

Guru
A while back a friend of mine told me his father and mother ( both in their late seventies ) were in bed when his mum thought she heard something downstairs. After about 5 minutes hectoring the old boy agreed to go down and check, just to shut her up. All he had on was his dressing gown and he is not too good on his feet. After checking right through the house he was about to go back up stairs when he noticed that a bolt on the bottom of their front door that they always put on was not locked. As he bent over to lock it, their old Labrador padded up behind him, stuck his cold nose up the old boys jacksy making him jerk up suddenly putting his head through the full length plate glass door. Result, nine stitches and a 4.30am call to my friend to pick them up from A&E. To add inult to injury, his mother cant wait to tell the story at every oppertunity

PaulB

Legendary Member
Globalti said:
Blimey Paul! You must live in a gated fortified estate with rabid rotties running loose if you've never been burgled in Colne!

But of course. But my next door neighbour's a councillor who keeps her finger on the pulse of the locale and she reckons the same; she's well aware of the current crime climate and she says burglary's almost non-existent in this part of town. It's a nice part and the local polis may be very good and do a cracking job but it may just be a happy (long-term) conglomeration of happenstances. As we say in gated, fortified estates!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Last month I left the shed door open and unlocked and went out... and luckily the bikes where still there and another occasion I left the back door unlocked when I went out. If I'm in I leave them open all the time... and I often wonder how the neighbours would work out if we had be burgled as they are so used to seeing the door wide open. Even the post man is used to it and just whistles as he chucks the mail in through the door.

taxing

We never lock our doors during the day, and we've never been burgled yet, but that may be because of the dog. Yappy little thing.

I constantly get my bike out of the garage and leave the door open, swinging in the breeze. I just forget. My brother doesn't appreciate it, his tools are worth about a grand and they're right by the door. Not to mention everyone else's bikes. :tongue:

martynjc1977

Veteran
taxing said:
We never lock our doors during the day, and we've never been burgled yet, but that may be because of the dog. Yappy little thing.

I constantly get my bike out of the garage and leave the door open, swinging in the breeze. I just forget. My brother doesn't appreciate it, his tools are worth about a grand and they're right by the door. Not to mention everyone else's bikes. :tongue:

I'm sure if did that my home and garage would be empty by the time I returned lol

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Twice I have put my card in a hole in the wall machine of my bank to get a mini statement, collected the statement and walked away with the machine primed to give away all my money. Fortunately no-one got there before the machine closed down and my card was swallowed, which was just before I got back to said machine. I retrieved my card the following day from the counter, much embarrassed.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
My mate left his (full) wallet on a beach lounger in Zante. Got back to the apartment (5 miles away on a scooter) realised it was missing, so asked me to go back with him for it. It was handed in behind the beach bar. He WAS relieved, to say the least.

Brains

Legendary Member
On a cycle tour a few years back, one of the party left a new digital camera (when Digital cameras were rare and expensive things) on the edge of a fountain in one of the main squares of the city of Brugge.

Only realised when we got back to the campsite and had changed to go out for the evening.

We cycled back to Brugge and said camera was still on the edge of the fountain in a now almost empty square.

I just can't imagine that happening anywhere else.

taxing

My mate left £100 in an envelope on the counter at Hammonds once and only remembered it after closing time. Next morning it was still there! I'm amazed at her luck.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I was cycling with a friend round the Pelloponese in Greece about thirty years ago, and we were stopped as we headed up the road through a tiny village up in the hills. The people who stopped us couldn't speak English, but they made it clear with hand signals that we should wait - someone was coming.

Sure enough, the one local English speaker - a doctor - appeared after a few minutes. His English wasn't great, but with what he did have and the help of a few hand gestures I suddenly twigged: my money belt was missing. Cash, travellers cheques, passport, tickets, everything. Apparently the owner of the cheap hotel we'd stayed at the night before had rung every village within 20 miles telling them to look out for a pair of English idiots on bicycles.

The doctor then drove us the 15 or so miles back to retrieve the belt, and back again to pick up our bikes. And that was that.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Kitty, sweetheart, there is every possibility that somebody did go in, have a quick shufty round and just think you had been burgled already so they might as well go............housework not your finer point hun, now is it??;)

:rofl::rofl::biggrin::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Lisa21 said:
Kitty, sweetheart, there is every possibility that somebody did go in, have a quick shufty round and just think you had been burgled already so they might as well go............housework not your finer point hun, now is it??:ohmy:

:sad::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Err that has nearly happened to me ... except we had been burgled (many many years ago), and we were warned before we went in that they had made a big mess.... :blush: half of it was normal mess:biggrin:.

Alan Whicker

When my mate lived in Hackney (!) he went away and left his front door wide open for five days and nights until his neighbour noticed. He reckons nobody went in because "In Hackney there's always a chance there's somebody sat waiting in the dark with a shotgun".

Top Bottom