I just don’t believe this !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Quel knob !

sheddy

Legendary Member
What I’d like to see again is the archive film of self supported TdF riders trying to get ahead by jumping over the crossing barriers.

Alex H

Legendary Member
Obviously not , I took it that it had been taken off YouTube so that was it

probably a copy - :blush:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Speaking of idiot cyclists trying to rush across closed level crossings... :whistle:
It was ever thus. In his book "Gironimo!" Tim Moore tells the story of the 1914 Giro d'Italia. In it there was a case where a rider got the jump on the field by sneaking though a closed crossing. I can't remember the full details - means I'll just have to read it again!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Here we go - from a different source: https://www.podiumcafe.com/book-corner/2014/5/6/5686434/Giro-dItalia-1914

Through the Wednesday the survivors rested. And prepared themselves for the longest ever stage in the Giro's history: 430 kilometres, a record that has never been bettered at the corsa rosa. Once again they were set on their way at midnight. And barely 15 kilometres into the stage came one of the greatest acts of madness in the history of the Giro, the suicide attack to beat all suicide attacks. The riders had been stopped at a level crossing but, for Bianchi's Lauro Bordin, there was to be no stopping. He slipped across the train tracks in the dark without being seen and pressed on for Rome alone.

When the peloton resumed riding, no one noticed the absence of Bordin, or those who did made no mention of it. It was only when they reached the control at Fucecchio, 15 kilometres later, that they learned about Bordin's bid for glory. With 400 kilometres of road still to ride the peloton decided to let him be. Passing through Florence at two in the morning Bordin's lead was up to 25 minutes. Dawn came around San Quirico, still 194 kilometres from the capital, the 23-year-old Bordin still out there on his own. Around about Narni, after enduring 350 kilometres and 13 hours of the loneliness of the long distance rider and with 65 kilometres still to be raced, Bordin's escape was ended. Four riders working together powered past him.

C R

Guru
Here we go - from a different source: https://www.podiumcafe.com/book-corner/2014/5/6/5686434/Giro-dItalia-1914

Through the Wednesday the survivors rested. And prepared themselves for the longest ever stage in the Giro's history: 430 kilometres, a record that has never been bettered at the corsa rosa. Once again they were set on their way at midnight. And barely 15 kilometres into the stage came one of the greatest acts of madness in the history of the Giro, the suicide attack to beat all suicide attacks. The riders had been stopped at a level crossing but, for Bianchi's Lauro Bordin, there was to be no stopping. He slipped across the train tracks in the dark without being seen and pressed on for Rome alone.

When the peloton resumed riding, no one noticed the absence of Bordin, or those who did made no mention of it. It was only when they reached the control at Fucecchio, 15 kilometres later, that they learned about Bordin's bid for glory. With 400 kilometres of road still to ride the peloton decided to let him be. Passing through Florence at two in the morning Bordin's lead was up to 25 minutes. Dawn came around San Quirico, still 194 kilometres from the capital, the 23-year-old Bordin still out there on his own. Around about Narni, after enduring 350 kilometres and 13 hours of the loneliness of the long distance rider and with 65 kilometres still to be raced, Bordin's escape was ended. Four riders working together powered past him.
He attacked too soon :whistle:

Top Bottom