I just finished refurbing this Claud Butler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I nabbed this off Ebay a few weeks ago. I guess I was lured by the Campag bits (front and rear mechs, and both hubs). The rims are Mavic. The fork blades are Reynolds 531, dunno about the frame.
It's an Electron and was advertised as 1960's, although my guess is mid '70s. I tried to research the frame number (002208) but could find no clues.
Been for a quick spin and it feels really light and responsive, so well chuffed with it.
If anyone has any clues of it's age I would be grateful to hear.

URL]
Attachment-5_zpsigy9whah.jpe

Attachment-4_zps8fxzk4l7.jpe

Attachment-2_zpse7x021pq.jpe

Attachment-3_zpswkgb84ba.jpe
Attachment-1%201_zps6uzyybwi.jpe

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Sorry, can't see the pics :sad:

Shaun

OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Very nice job. Bit odd to just see 531 forks, the frame should be as well. As for date I'd say about 1970, maybe a little earlier, when did they stop using band on shifters?

You could try dating it from the derailleurs on this useful site http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Home.html

Thanks for the link. Nuovo Valentino Extra are 1976 then.
When I picked the bike up it was in very original condition even including the original shops sticker. Nothing alluding to the frame material though.
I believe the Electron was at the cheaper end of the range.

midlife

Guru
This is odd. I can't see any pics on the tablet or iPhone. Will try the laptop as we used to sell Electon's BITD and would like to see the pics :smile:

OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
I thought it was a bit curious that the bike has tyres of different width, front and back.
The tyres are Michelin World Tour. 27 x 1-1/4 on the front, and 27 x 1-1/8 on the back.
I tried switching them round so the wider tyre now on the rear, thinking it would look less odd.
Now I have only "fag paper" clearance between the tyre and chain stays, which probably explains why the previous owner had them the other way round.
Literally there is maximum 1/16" clearance :ohmy:.

I've been on the internet and it seems that 27x1-1/8 tyres are like hens teeth.
Loads of choice in 27x1-1/4 size tough.

Any suggestions?
I don't want to change the wheels, as I've just had the rear one rebuilt with new spokes.

Are there any 27x1-1/4 tyres which have straighter sidewalls, or are they all the same shape?

The Michelin World Tour 27x1-1/4 is supposed to be equivalent 32mm. but it actually measures 34mm width across the sidewall at the widest point.

I found these, but they don't look very retro, do they?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Continent...739357701?clk_rvr_id=1134071496696&rmvSB=true

OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Top Bottom