I just had an accident...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
good news then

too late now but did you use the CTC lawyers? that number sounds a bit low for that accident

did you suffer any long lasting injury or impairment?

I think a cycle expert solicitor firm is an absolute must, it is free after all, maybe you pay for CTC membership but that's no bad thing

Number14

Guru
I think you commented before I edited my post. There is a break in the bus lane but that lane is left turn only.

That's the important bit, IMO.

I don't think there is any doubt that the left lane, the one in which the car was travelling, should be left turn only.

He should not have been going straight through, not only does that mean he ignored the left turn only sign but he was intending to travel in a bus lane which operates 24/7. The driver is stuffed both ways, IMO.

The road signs and road markings do not indicate left turn only for that lane so the driver can legitimately drive in it and, as he hadn't reached the bus lane, he had legally done nothing wrong.

It looks like a case of poor judgement/observation by Lockheed and luckily, no serious injury. I'm sure the driver is pretty shook up as well.

OP
OP
L

Lockheed

good news then

too late now but did you use the CTC lawyers? that number sounds a bit low for that accident

did you suffer any long lasting injury or impairment?

I think a cycle expert solicitor firm is an absolute must, it is free after all, maybe you pay for CTC membership but that's no bad thing
I remember phoning them up but can't recall why I didn't go with them. Probably membership was an issue.

The thing about this accident was that although it looked very serious and both paramedics and the police said in such cases cyclist suffers significant injuries, or even death, I literally walked away from the accident, and apart from leg swollen in one place and some aching back (not the spine region), both kicking in 1-3 hours after the incident, I was overall fine - much better than shopping in my backpack (smashed food cans and few eggs broken out of 12). After flight and rolling, I got up instantly and started assessing damage to my bike. I remember that initially, the only discomfort I felt was coming from the fact people were staring at me telling me I should sit down and leave the bike - this made me feel like I miss half of my skull or something (I had not a scratch on my head though I was riding bare-headed). I suppose this contributed to the level of compensation I received.

I really got lucky in one aspect - my left pedal was up and so the main impact went into the pedal platform, bending the crank arm inwards. I get an unpleasant feeling thinking what could have happen to my ankle/lower leg if the pedal was in the bottom position.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Lockheed, looks like you came out of it okay, and as you stated it could have been viewed as a 50/50. Overall taking in account the lack of injury the cash seems okay, in fact the stress of claim seemed to cause more injury than the incident. The other plus point is that you didn't come away with a "helmet saved my life" ancedote, so its all good :biggrin:

The other plus point for you is you never reacted to some of the negative reactions on here, and I read it from beginning to end for the first time last night and it was a pleasant surpise to find out it was a bumped thread that had a conclusion already!

Anyways you still riding? Has it changed your opinion on wearing a lid?

OP
OP
L

Lockheed

Anyways you still riding? Has it changed your opinion on wearing a lid?
Yeah, I was riding until this winter when I moved away from London and sold my bikes. I actually rode before I could properly walk again. My streamlined city hybrid was totaled so I got a regular clunky city commuter 'made in Bangladesh'. It had wobbly crank and only front brakes worked but it did alright and at my commuting pace, I was overtaking most of other cyclist road bikes on London streets (except this one dude on that folding bike with tiny wheels).

I commuted on it the whole Spring, Summer and Autumn of 2010. Rubbish bike but fun and it grew on me - I managed to master its wobbliness to the extent I hardly ever needed to touch the steering bar, even in traffic, on kerbs or sharp turns.

Had a close encounter with a black cab on Bayswater Road, too, but nothing serious - the guy didn't look in his rear view mirror and turned into my path while I was about to overtake him. I hit his right front wheel arch. We both stopped but I was too annoyed by the incident to stay for a tête à tête so just ignored his request to stop and took off (ATM I was also not entirely positive whether it was his fault).

And no, I don't wear a helmet, never have. I am not against it, I just don't find it necessary on a bicycle for myself (although I would not disadvise others to wear it on the road). I had my share of accidents (no, not due to my reckless riding) and never had I sustained a scratch above the chest. I am either lucky or just... roll that way ;) And before someone start bashing me for it - it is my head, my risk and my choice.

However, I am picking up motorcycling now and for this, I am getting a helmet.
But hot damn! Those buggers are expensive :biggrin:

Top Bottom