I just love the Met Office

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

avsd

Guru
Below is the forecast on the Met site for late March.

UK Outlook for Thursday 13 Mar 2014 to Thursday 27 Mar 2014:
Current indications suggest fairly typical weather conditions for the time of year will continue during the latter half of March. This will mean spells of wet and windy weather, most likely in the north and west, but still some decent sunny spells in between. The best of the drier, brighter conditions are likely to be in the south and east of the UK. Temperatures most likely to be around to slightly above average for late March, with a risk of overnight frosts and icy patches, mainly in the settled periods.
"Temperatures most likely to be around to slightly above average for late March, with a risk of overnight frosts and icy patches" should cover all the bases :rolleyes:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
They forgot snow. With possible snow showers falling on higher ground. That can mean anything from sea level to the cairngorms.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Predicting that tomorrow's weather will be the same as today's weather is, allegedly, a more reliable forecast than anything that the Met Office comes up with.

I can't be bothered to monitor the weather for more than an hour so I'll never get to prove/disprove the assertion.

If you looked at the forecast for this week even as late as Sunday afternoon, it was saying torrential rain and high winds for the entire week. That black cloud with 2 or 3 raindrops coming out of it. The reality is that it has not even been close. Most days have been dry here with only a light shower if at all and it has been unseasonably warm with temperatures reaching 15C on more than one day. Most days have seen plenty of sunshine here and it has been blustery. If I had taken any notice of the forecasted weather for Monday, I would never had done an 82mile ride on Monday.

Brandane

Legendary Member
They have got it wrong every day this week for our local area. So I don't pay much attention when they try to forecast the weather a month from now, and even less attention when they try to predict what is going to happen in the decades and centuries ahead.

MikeG

Guru
What on earth are you lot on about?!!!!

They're brilliant these days. They have a better than 95% success rate for 3 day forecasts. They got all those January storms bang-on, one after the other after the other. The medium term (I mean, like the 2nd half of next month) can only be a generalised broad-brush picture, and anything further out than 3 days is generally less accurate than the short term, obviously.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm sure we had torrential sunshine this afternoon.

Top Bottom