I just won a crap bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Well,

I took it out for a spin last night, it is actually OK! It's not fast, but then I didn't buy it for speed. When I want to cycle faster than cars I get on my new-fangled full carbon contraption of the very Devil himself (as some of you would have it called, I'm sure! :smile:).

It is a tad small for me, but at £40 I'm not complaining. I took up some slack in the brakes, but I need to remember that they're not hydraulic disc brakes! (That scared me slightly when I was approaching a junction, slammed on the anchors and realised I wasn't going to stop in time ....).

I wanted to adjust the saddle to move it backwards ... then I disovered that instead of being a saddle with rails bolted into an adjustable rocker at the top of the seat post, there is like a giant bolt through the bit on the saddle where I would expect rails to be - looks like you can't move the saddle forwards and backwards. ;)

"Fairy snuff", thought I, "Now to raise the handlebars!" ... then I discovered that it doesn't have an Aheadset and when I slackened the central bolt at the top of the stem, the stem won't budge. Either I need to slacken the nut at the top of the head tube, or the stem is rusted solid. :biggrin::angry:

And I don't like the handlebars, I'll replace them with MTB risers. But I will live with the bars as they are for the moment!

(waits patiently for the screams for horror at the prospect of replacing the bars with a pair of risers, like these ... :biggrin:).

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Well,

I took it out for a spin last night, it is actually OK! It's not fast, but then I didn't buy it for speed. When I want to cycle faster than cars I get on my new-fangled full carbon contraption of the very Devil himself (as some of you would have it called, I'm sure! :smile:).

It is a tad small for me, but at £40 I'm not complaining. I took up some slack in the brakes, but I need to remember that they're not hydraulic disc brakes! (That scared me slightly when I was approaching a junction, slammed on the anchors and realised I wasn't going to stop in time ....).

I wanted to adjust the saddle to move it backwards ... then I disovered that instead of being a saddle with rails bolted into an adjustable rocker at the top of the seat post, there is like a giant bolt through the bit on the saddle where I would expect rails to be - looks like you can't move the saddle forwards and backwards. ;)

"Fairy snuff", thought I, "Now to raise the handlebars!" ... then I discovered that it doesn't have an Aheadset and when I slackened the central bolt at the top of the stem, the stem won't budge. Either I need to slacken the nut at the top of the head tube, or the stem is rusted solid. :biggrin::angry:

And I don't like the handlebars, I'll replace them with MTB risers. But I will live with the bars as they are for the moment!

(waits patiently for the screams for horror at the prospect of replacing the bars with a pair of risers, like these ... :biggrin:).

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
XmisterIS said:

NOOOO! Don't replace the bars! New bars will make it look more nickable if you do.

XmisterIS said:
"Now to raise the handlebars!" ... then I discovered that it doesn't have an Aheadset and when I slackened the central bolt at the top of the stem, the stem won't budge. Either I need to slacken the nut at the top of the head tube, or the stem is rusted solid. ;):biggrin:!
Good luck trying to shift it! Your LBS will probably do it for you for a tenner :smile:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
XmisterIS said:

NOOOO! Don't replace the bars! New bars will make it look more nickable if you do.

XmisterIS said:
"Now to raise the handlebars!" ... then I discovered that it doesn't have an Aheadset and when I slackened the central bolt at the top of the stem, the stem won't budge. Either I need to slacken the nut at the top of the head tube, or the stem is rusted solid. ;):biggrin:!
Good luck trying to shift it! Your LBS will probably do it for you for a tenner :smile:

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Baggy said:
Your LBS will probably do it for you for a tenner ;)

Aghast! We (and that is the Royal "We") never uses the LBS, we has a garage fully equipped with the latest in stem-loosening technology ... (aka a filty dorty feckin' girt hemmur ... as my Irish Great Great Grandmother might have said).

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Baggy said:
Your LBS will probably do it for you for a tenner ;)

Aghast! We (and that is the Royal "We") never uses the LBS, we has a garage fully equipped with the latest in stem-loosening technology ... (aka a filty dorty feckin' girt hemmur ... as my Irish Great Great Grandmother might have said).

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Baggy said:

Good luck trying to shift it! Your LBS will probably do it for you for a tenner ;)

You don't need a LBS, you need a hammer. Loosen the bolt till it's 1/8" up, then give it a decent whack - there's a cone inside that locks like a wedge...you need to free it.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Baggy said:

Good luck trying to shift it! Your LBS will probably do it for you for a tenner ;)

You don't need a LBS, you need a hammer. Loosen the bolt till it's 1/8" up, then give it a decent whack - there's a cone inside that locks like a wedge...you need to free it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
XmisterIS said:
"Fairy snuff", thought I, "Now to raise the handlebars!" ... then I discovered that it doesn't have an Aheadset and when I slackened the central bolt at the top of the stem, the stem won't budge. Either I need to slacken the nut at the top of the head tube, or the stem is rusted solid. ;):biggrin:!

This makes me feel suddenly very old....

As swee'pea says, you just need to loosen the quill (that's what it's called). Undo the bolt a bit, put a piece of wood over it to protect it, and whack it a smart whack with a hammer.

If necessary, introduce a little de-siezing spray - WD40, or Plusgas.

Arch

Married to Night Train
XmisterIS said:
"Fairy snuff", thought I, "Now to raise the handlebars!" ... then I discovered that it doesn't have an Aheadset and when I slackened the central bolt at the top of the stem, the stem won't budge. Either I need to slacken the nut at the top of the head tube, or the stem is rusted solid. ;):biggrin:!

This makes me feel suddenly very old....

As swee'pea says, you just need to loosen the quill (that's what it's called). Undo the bolt a bit, put a piece of wood over it to protect it, and whack it a smart whack with a hammer.

If necessary, introduce a little de-siezing spray - WD40, or Plusgas.

tyred

Legendary Member
The saddle should still slide back and forward (and tilt up and down) once you slacken the centre bolt. All my bikes have seatposts like these.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I used to buy cars like that for the simple reason the crapper it looked the less chance it would be tampered with,One was a baby poo beige Skoda Favorit with rust ...i was right,it never got a look in and no one ever came close to it whilst driving !
Bike looks brilliant

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

skudupnorth said:
I used to buy cars like that for the simple reason the crapper it looked the less chance it would be tampered with,One was a baby poo beige Skoda Favorit with rust ...i was right,it never got a look in and no one ever came close to it whilst driving !
Bike looks brilliant

Perfect! I had a clapped out old Nissan Primera before my current car ... bully-boy salesman types in executive beamers and jags would try to cut me up ... then as they got closer they realised that I just didn't give a sh1t if I got another dent ... so they backed off ;)

Top Bottom