I kissed a girl..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
bonj said:
yeah i'll do that, when is it?

June the something or other. 21st i think? Its a sunday.

Joe24

bonj said:
;) excellent! it says on this web page:
http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/bikeride
"Sportive ride - approximately 75 mile route for the more serious cyclist that will take in North Nottinghamshire and costs £15 per person"

so it's only for serious cyclists then...:biggrin:
Yep, you do get the want to be serious cyclist out though. I remember last year we saw them. All sprinting off on the go, and by radcliffe on trent we were passing most of them.
With the tail wind we had last year we powered along to Newark and want to be serious riders tried to hold on. By Newark we had dropped most and never saw them again.

bonj2

Joe24 said:
Yep, you do get the want to be serious cyclist out though. I remember last year we saw them. All sprinting off on the go, and by radcliffe on trent we were passing most of them.
With the tail wind we had last year we powered along to Newark and want to be serious riders tried to hold on. By Newark we had dropped most and never saw them again.

hmmm. Be interesting to see where it goes, you have any idea what the route is?

Joe24

bonj said:
hmmm. Be interesting to see where it goes, you have any idea what the route is?

No idea, last it went out to Newark, then by the sugar beet factory and a round about way to Wellow then back to Southwell, and along the back roads to Thurgaton, then into Hoveringham, along a612(for the sportive people so it was better, when you join up on the route thats the 50 miles route it gets hectic with lots of cyclists not know others are wanting to get past) to Lady bay bridge(then it gets really hectic, you get the sportive, 50mile and 18miles riders joing up together) to Holme Peirre Pont that way.
The ending was abit unplanned, the people on the sportive are wanting to go fast, and you get the people going along going slow blocking up the road. So you end up having to dodge alot of people.
Arent you routes up yet?

bonj2

Joe24 said:
No idea, last it went out to Newark, then by the sugar beet factory and a round about way to Wellow then back to Southwell, and along the back roads to Thurgaton, then into Hoveringham, along a612(for the sportive people so it was better, when you join up on the route thats the 50 miles route it gets hectic with lots of cyclists not know others are wanting to get past) to Lady bay bridge(then it gets really hectic, you get the sportive, 50mile and 18miles riders joing up together) to Holme Peirre Pont that way.
The ending was abit unplanned, the people on the sportive are wanting to go fast, and you get the people going along going slow blocking up the road. So you end up having to dodge alot of people.
Arent you routes up yet?

oh yes i know - it'll go somewhere round that whole area bounded by the A1/A6075/A614/A617 that contains all norwell, eakring and the like.

route doesn't appear to be on the website.

A612 is presumably much quieter now what with it being a bus gate at burton joyce? (;) When did that happen?! always used to drive in from southwell along that way.)

Joe24

bonj said:
oh yes i know - it'll go somewhere round that whole are bounded by the A1/A6075/A614/A617 that contains all norwell, eakring and the like.

route doesn't appear to be on the website.

A612 is presumably much quieter now what with it being a bus gate at burton joyce? (;) When did that happen?! always used to drive in from southwell along that way.)
Thats the way the route went Bonj.

A couple of years ago, maybe more the bus block came. Theres meetings about it every so often because it adds an extra mile and half on each way if you live near the start of it, so i dont know how long its going to stay.
It doesnt bother me, i just keep going through it, but you get lots of car drivers sat there for a long time waiting for the lights to change, which they dont.
Its better i think if your going from Lowdham to middle of Nottingham, but if you go down Shering Hill in a car to go to Lowdham, it really is annoying.
There Police that sit down there every so often aswell, and everyone that goes through, or go like they are going to go through they stop.

bonj2

Joe24 said:
Thats the way the route went Bonj.

A couple of years ago, maybe more the bus block came. Theres meetings about it every so often because it adds an extra mile and half on each way if you live near the start of it, so i dont know how long its going to stay.
It doesnt bother me, i just keep going through it, but you get lots of car drivers sat there for a long time waiting for the lights to change, which they dont.
Its better i think if your going from Lowdham to middle of Nottingham, but if you go down Shering Hill in a car to go to Lowdham, it really is annoying.
There Police that sit down there every so often aswell, and everyone that goes through, or go like they are going to go through they stop.

hmmm
I went to some place in gedling a bit ago (off beaumaris drive, quite near the bottom of shearing hill, know it?), and onthe way there my satnav got very very confused, largely because it didn't understand the colwick loop road and thought iw as off road, but then kept trying to send me back down the A612 but by then i just decided to go back using the A614 via mapperly plains
That area near the big school just opposite beaumaris drive was really nice and quiet, almost spookily - the school's probably why they did it.
I think it's a good idea, if y ou're driving from southwell to nottingham you can easily just go via oxton

i know you DO go through it, whether allowed or not but cycles are obivously allowed to go through it preusmably?

Joe24

bonj said:
hmmm
I went to some place in gedling a bit ago (off beaumaris drive, quite near the bottom of shearing hill, know it?), and onthe way there my satnav got very very confused, largely because it didn't understand the colwick loop road and thought iw as off road, but then kept trying to send me back down the A612 but by then i just decided to go back using the A614 via mapperly plains
That area near the big school just opposite beaumaris drive was really nice and quiet, almost spookily - the school's probably why they did it.
I think it's a good idea, if y ou're driving from southwell to nottingham you can easily just go via oxton

The sat nav we have gets confused. It thinks we are driving through fields and doesnt know what to do until we have got to the other side.
I know where you mean, by Carlton Le Willows school. Its very quiet down there now. Its nice to go down on a bike because of it, you can just power along and not have any cars around. When its end of school it really is crap, the people drive up it to the parking bits on either side of the bus block and it gets abit crowded.

Joe24

bonj said:
i know you DO go through it, whether allowed or not but cycles are obivously allowed to go through it preusmably?

There are two little lanes thats go off at the sides of the bus block. These are narrow and normally have rubbish in, and you have to slow down to go through that bit. So i just keep powering through the bus bit, like most people do.

Top Bottom