I know everyone will be starting lights threads but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldstrath

Über Member
So obscure and unavailable it's sold online, and as for old, has the nature of light changed since 2003? Or it could meet an equivalent standard such as the German one, or they could disable steady mode and only need to meet the weaker "two Ronnies" requirements of the 2005 amendment. But yes, that's what it means and it doesn't seem anyone cares much for now, but it's part of why there are so many what-lights threads IMO.

Indeed light has not changed since 2003, but emitters and batteries have. Rather a lot. Also, the bizarre 4candela flasher clause is hardly evidence of a well thought through standard.

But whatever, I can think of (and experience) situations ( TT rides on busy roads, fog, alternating sun and deep share) where my "insufficient" Tracer or Scorpion work substantially better than any Stvzo compliant light, and damn few where they are worse.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

These are the ones I have. Impressed, although the batteries are now dead as they were on my bike when my spine was broken and the batteries were left discharged for a year. The front's aren't holding much charge, and the rear is dead. That said, C&B do sell the replacements cheaply.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
These are the ones I have. Impressed, although the batteries are now dead as they were on my bike when my spine was broken and the batteries were left discharged for a year. The front's aren't holding much charge, and the rear is dead. That said, C&B do sell the replacements cheaply.
Yeah they're handy bought, all you need is an order number to reference to otherwise Roger can't invoice and ship batteries (at least to NI anyway)

fossyant

Yeah they're handy bought, all you need is an order number to reference to otherwise Roger can't invoice and ship batteries (at least to NI anyway)

I'm sure it's OK UK - Roger is helpful anyway ! I've ordered a few things from them. I do like the front light, 3 brightness levels, more than enough for off road, and contained batteries. The 'pulse' mode is good for commuting, although that said, the bloke that busted my spine didn't see me with that mode on in daylight.

I had 1 rear light that had a poor soldering of the charge port, but Rodger replaced it no issues.

T.M.H.N.E.T

I'm sure it's OK UK - Roger is helpful anyway ! I've ordered a few things from them. I do like the front light, 3 brightness levels, more than enough for off road, and contained batteries. The 'pulse' mode is good for commuting, although that said, the bloke that busted my spine didn't see me with that mode on in daylight.

I had 1 rear light that had a poor soldering of the charge port, but Rodger replaced it no issues.
Had a bad battery last year on a new kit, replaced within days no questions, my own 4-5yr old commuter kit battery is still in top condition. You don't get that level of service with aliebayxpress cheap stuff

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
For the price, I've still not found anything to beat Poundland's 5-LED rear light.
As bright as most other lights, enough fancy patterns to please anyone, excellent battery life and cheap enough to buy one for every bike you own, plus a spare just in case. As for longevity, I've got one that's going into it's third winter and is still going strong.
The supplied brackets are a bit iffy, but that's nothing a cable tie won't sort out.

Their front lights aren't anywhere near as good though.

fossyant

Had a bad battery last year on a new kit, replaced within days no questions, my own 4-5yr old commuter kit battery is still in top condition. You don't get that level of service with aliebayxpress cheap stuff

Exactly. I know they did the development for the City Slickers themselves and they have been 'manufactured' overseas, but the quality is good, and they use Panasonic batteries. Mine were used in all weather without an issue. I also had two of their "big" 500 lumen rear lights too.

With the rear City Slicker, it points 'down' when mounted on the seat post. You can re-angle the bracket by heating it with a hair dryer, and adjusting the angle. Sorted.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Exactly. I know they did the development for the City Slickers themselves and they have been 'manufactured' overseas, but the quality is good, and they use Panasonic batteries. Mine were used in all weather without an issue. I also had two of their "big" 500 lumen rear lights too.

With the rear City Slicker, it points 'down' when mounted on the seat post. You can re-angle the bracket by heating it with a hair dryer, and adjusting the angle. Sorted.
Good to know actually! I haven't got the rear yet but may just spend some £

The 500 lumen rear light is insaneeee :laugh: the daffodils in my club whined so much I had to stop using it (mostly because it made their lights look like birthday cake candles)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Indeed light has not changed since 2003, but emitters and batteries have. Rather a lot. Also, the bizarre 4candela flasher clause is hardly evidence of a well thought through standard.
The standard specifies performance and doesn't depend on the technology. As it should.

The flasher thing is a minimal thing for a different sort of marker-only light. Nothing wrong with that.

But whatever, I can think of (and experience) situations ( TT rides on busy roads, fog, alternating sun and deep share) where my "insufficient" Tracer or Scorpion work substantially better than any Stvzo compliant light, and damn few where they are worse.
YYSW. Enjoy playing the lights lottery

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
[QUOTE 4949964, member: 9609"]is there any rear lights you can switch on from the front when riding (preferably with some sort of feedback on the switch to confirm they are on or off)[/QUOTE]

My dynamo setup is like that. If I reach down and turn on the front the rear goes on too. In practice I just leave it on all the time,

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Just arrived and charging, will get to try it tomorrow. Good feelings about it so far.

Be dark soon… will give it a go.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Quick tip @palinurus The microUSB port on the light is a long, skinny fit so if you're charging at work during the day etc you might need a spare cable or carry the standard one.

It is, isn't it. Tried a couple at work, finally used the one for my Kindle- that stayed in place as long as I didn't touch it. The supplied cable worked fine.

Tried it out on the ride in today, it does point very downwards on my seatpost- could do with a shim to angle it up a tad more. Otherwise seems good, roughly as bright as my Dinotte* on the mid setting but more reasonably-priced and with similar sort of build quality.

*I'm guessing I'm not likely to be a very good judge of this but I haven't got a good way of measuring it.

Top Bottom