I know I'm going to get flamed but....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
This happened to me at least 5 times on my commute this morning. Happily commuting on the racing bike, pull up in an ASL at a red light next thing I know a commuter on a mountain bike (full chunkies, everything) just comes past and pulls up right in front of me (in advance of the front of the ASL but that's not the issue). What do you have to gain? By design a racing bike is quicker out of the blocks and faster overall, it just meant I had to slow, check everything behind me, signal, overtake, mouth obscenities (in one instance!) and carry on.

Now I'm not being elitist (one of my best friends is a mountain bike :biggrin:) but it just wound me up today because it happened so often.

Anyway flame away!!! :wacko:

dondare

Über Member
Mouthing obscenities? For shame.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Chill out!

So you had to overtake? A good opportunity to practice your roadcraft & quick acceleration.

Britain's roads don't need *more* angry people on them.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Could you stop slight further over to your right and then even if he/she goes in front you still have a clear line?

PS. I'm not fast on my hybrid;) - but I am usually quick off the line... just wish I could maintain that acceleration/speed over a long distance.

Mark_Robson

I often use my MTB to commute and I wouldn't have the audacity to stop in front of a roadie, in fact I doff my cap as they pass me.
Joking aside I don't understand why he would pull in front of you as it's pretty obvious who is going to be quicker off the blocks.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Are you stopping to the left side of the lane? Why not go across the junction in the middle of the lane instead? That way you don't have to worry much about following traffic, and you can easily pass the slowcoach.

No need to get angry with the rider, even if they are displaying poor manners. I would probably say something nicely after the second time another rider does that to me.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I know I know. It's a nice day etc.It just bugged me this morning.

I have tried stopping further to the right but that just makes their going around me more pronounced!!!

In addition to doffing your cap, could you go and fetch additional water bottles too please? :wacko:

Nice name martin!
It's a journey - not a race, and, as pointed out by arallsopp of this parish last year, you are just being engulfed in the beginnings of the sandbar of idiocy. He might be along to illuminate this, but read this note and, as John says, 'calm down'.
Next, you'll be getting a helmet camera and ranting on here every five minutes, developing a high pitched obscenity to accompany the noise of the wind buffeting your microphone, or clunking people with a dog eared copy of Cyclecraft! :wacko:

Mark_Robson

Aperitif said:
Next, you'll be getting a helmet camera and ranting on here every five minutes, developing a high pitched obscenity to accompany the noise of the wind buffeting your microphone, or clunking people with a dog eared copy of Cyclecraft! :smile:
:laugh: I just choked on a cup of tea thanks to that. !!:biggrin:
I couldn't possibly imagine who you are talking about though. :wacko:

gouldina

I don't think it's about what bike you're on. It's about who got there first. It's incredibly rude to overtake at a red light in my opinion regardless of what bike you're riding.

dondare

Über Member
gouldina said:
I don't think it's about what bike you're on. It's about who got there first. It's incredibly rude to overtake at a red light in my opinion regardless of what bike you're riding.

And as such it stands out in sharp contrast to all the other behaviour that one encounters on the road which is all politeness and consideration.

Top Bottom