I know this might sound silly...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GoatBeard

But why oil your bikes chain? They're not liable to rust unless you abandon it in the rain for a months. When mechanically fitted correctly, they shouldn't provide much feedback. Out of the factory they are lightly greased probably more for good measure. So, what's the point?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Less wear

pawl

Legendary Member
I used a Scott Oiler on one of my motorbike it certainly seemed to increase the life of the chain.
There is one thing I don’t skimp on is cleaning the drive chain on my bikes.I don’t keep a record of the mileage I get from my chains and sprockets As Fossyant says metal on metal without lubricant is not a good idea.

davidphilips

Veteran
Not only do clean lubricated chains last longer, shift gears better and lose less energy but far less chance of a stiff link. The factory lube on a new chain is great inside the links but the outside of the new chain should be cleaned to stop attracting dirt.

Mr Celine

Discordian
But why oil your bikes chain? They're not liable to rust unless you abandon it in the rain for a months.
Dunno where you're from but most on here live and ride in the UK. They put salt on the roads here to prevent icing during the winter months. Even a well oiled chain is likely to be partly orange the next day if not cleaned after a ride.

It's basically to reduce friction to an acceptable degree goatbeard.
Not that different from sex really.
(In case you were thinking of getting intimate with your bike)
Regular oiling with an appropriate lube also helps to clean muck off the outside of the chain.
Which should be cleaned of muck and oil every so often as well.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It's the most essential and effective regular maintenance I can give my bike.

I clean and lightly oil my chain using the Mickle method. I find this the No.1 and most beneficial tip I have picked up on CC. I also clean the chain with an old oily cotton rag, old tea towels are very effective, after every ride. A two minute job.

On the odd occassion I have cleaned the chain, left it wet to dry but forgotten/not had time to lube when dry rust has appeared over night.

A correctly oiled chain gives a smoother, more efficient ride and I quite literally can feel the difference. I get very good mileage from my chains - 3-4000 miles.

Ajax Bay

Guru
why oil your bikes chain? . . . Out of the factory they are lightly greased probably more for good measure. So, what's the point?
Running a new chain on the factory 'grease' should be fine for 500km (although I have seen differing views on that). Maybe that's your point? After that, see comments above. @figbat is the SME.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Running a new chain on the factory 'grease' should be fine for 500km (although I have seen differing views on that). Maybe that's your point? After that, see comments above. @figbat is the SME.
You called?

The principle reason for oiling the chain has been well covered above - to lubricate it. The chain is made of numerous metal parts and it engages with a metal chainring and metal cogs. As it engages, wraps around the gears and disengages there is rubbing of metal-on-metal, both from the chain to the gears and within the links of the chain itself. This causes friction, which causes heat, noise and wear. A thin layer of lubricant will significantly reduce the friction by forming a partial barrier between the metal parts.

The friction is increased by the presence of contaminants such as dust, grit and wear debris; regular chain attention will minimise this. A corroded chain will also have significantly increased friction - lubrication will help reduce corrosion.

As noted above, a well-oiled chain runs nicely and shifts cleanly - this is not a coincidence.

Top Bottom