I like big-bloons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin_P

Guru
....or the idea of the comfort and off roadedness they would provide as tyres.

As such I've decided that it'd be a very good idea to add to the fleet in getting a 29er with big bloony tyres, 2.1 or 2.3 wide.

And the crazy part. If I got one I'd want to fit full mudguards and a rack to the bike. However it seems that this is far from the intentions of the bike makers in so far as I cannot establish if;

a, Anyone makes a 29er with rack and mudguard mounts?

b, If anyone makes mudguards wide enough?

So I'm asking if there is anyone sensible enough on CC who has turned their edgy and trendy 29er into something altogether more sensible?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don’t need to be 29er, I’ve got a pair of 45c Specialized Electrack for 700c which are pretty ‘bloony’, smooth tread. This would allow you to use a ‘adventure ‘ type frame which has rack and mudguard fittings.
36D0995C-0113-43E8-A5B5-5C387F49BB1E.jpeg

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru

What a lovely bike. Shame it seems you can only get the hearing aid beige version here. Bit expensive for me as well on what will likely be an impulse buy. I'm talking myself out of the good idea I thought I'd had.

Don’t need to be 29er, I’ve got a pair of 45c Specialized Electrack for 700c which are pretty ‘bloony’, smooth tread. This would allow you to use a ‘adventure ‘ type frame which has rack and mudguard fittings.
View attachment 389576

My current workhorse (mudguarded and racked) bike is running 700x40c Smart Sams which do a have a bit of bloonage but bog right down in the mud. I might go and let some air out of the tyres and see what happens. Currently they are pumped right up. It is a shame that frame won't allow wider rubber.

I've got 2.35 Big Apple tyres on my 26" mtb and have struggled to find a full set of guards wide enough. Shame :sad:

I know those clip on jobbies are widely available but they are not really that good.

This was on a fat bike, but I don't know where it came from. I could ask.

That looks like a custom fabricated guard, good idea but it'd be tricky to do that full length without some serious engineering skills.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I've got 2.35 Big Apple tyres on my 26" mtb and have struggled to find a full set of guards wide enough. Shame :sad:

I have these on my Surly Big Dummy and the SKS mudguards work just fine.

@Colin_P have a look st a Surly Ogre as well as the ECR. Drool....

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Seems to me you are just looking for an excuse to buy a 29er, despite the fact a 26" MTB can easily be fitted with mudguards and rack, and are smaller and lighter bikes
I have a 28 year old 26" rigid MTB with full SKS mudguards and commuter-style 1.75" wide tyres and it feels very stable and comfortable due to it's old-school English roadster type frame geometry and long-trail forks.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Seems to me the bike industry is just trying to promote 29ers because the whole market for 26" is pretty much saturated as there are millions and millions of the things already out there. I'm highly sceptical that a 29er is going to be any better than a 26" for most uses and this is really all about trying to convince owners who already have perfectly good 26" machines that they need new bike - when in all probability, they don't.

OP
OP
Colin_P

Colin_P

Guru
Thanks everyone for the input thus far.

I always feel like this on a 26" ...

upload_2018-1-2_13-1-49.png

Anyway, today is another day, a cold wet grey day in Jan and the first day back at work. All silly thoughts of a +1 have, for the time being, evapourated.

Top Bottom