I Love It When

• Thread starter Deleted member 1258
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Look forward to reading your thoughts on the new bike Dave, it is top of my shortlist for new commuter too.

How is it size wise, I think we are similar height so guessing a 52cm would be good?

Look forward to reading your thoughts on the new bike Dave, it is top of my shortlist for new commuter too.

How is it size wise, I think we are similar height so guessing a 52cm would be good?
Knowing you both, I believe Dave is a not as big tall as you :smile:.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Knowing you both, I believe Dave is a not as big tall as you :smile:.

I'm 5" 6" with a short leg, 29" and the 52 is a tad on the large size of right, my B****s rest on the top tube when stood astride the bike, but the 50 would have been too small, top tube would have been to short, its a compact frame.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Having had only a cursory look at mine, but judging by eye only, I may have the same problem, it looks a tad narrow but it's an 853 frame so I can forgive it anything :smile:.

I recon a seat post rack might be the way too go for getting a rack on it, if I find a 4 point mounting rack to fit I might have problems working it round the brake.

shufflemelody

Veteran
Hi Dave,

I've got the same bike (had it for nearly 5 months now) and also found it a B_____ to fit mudguards with 28mm tyres but eventually got it sorted. One of the problems I had was the back wheel needed quite a lot of truing, so once I'd sorted that out it made a big difference. There still isn't much clearance and they do get clogged up with mud quite easily so need frequent cleaning on the insides.

I also had the same problem with the rack mountings/brakes - I've not spent enough time investigating that to see if it's down to the design of the brakes themselves or the location of the mountings. I might fit another brake to see if it makes a difference.

Great bike to ride when everything is working in harmony :-)
Cheers
Chris

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Hi Dave,

I've got the same bike (had it for nearly 5 months now) and also found it a B_____ to fit mudguards with 28mm tyres but eventually got it sorted. One of the problems I had was the back wheel needed quite a lot of truing, so once I'd sorted that out it made a big difference. There still isn't much clearance and they do get clogged up with mud quite easily so need frequent cleaning on the insides.

I also had the same problem with the rack mountings/brakes - I've not spent enough time investigating that to see if it's down to the design of the brakes themselves or the location of the mountings. I might fit another brake to see if it makes a difference.

Great bike to ride when everything is working in harmony :-)
Cheers
Chris

I think its the position of the rack mountings thats the main problem, puts the bracket up against the brake, a different brake thats a different shape should help that.I'm going to get a seat post mounted rack and come down a size on the tyres, at the moment I've got an odd spare tyre on the back.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Been a bit busy today, no time for a proper ride, but I did get time to do a couple of circuits, 16 mile in all, first impressions ^_^^_^^_^. Its a compact frame like my Verenti, tall front end long head tube and sloping Top Tube. Its light lively and goes where its pointed, it also doesn't dance over the lumps and bumps as much as my Pearson did, there have been occasions with the Pearson where I've backed off when its got too lively over the bumps at speed.Over all I'm impressed, I recon I'm going to have some fun with this, I'm just a little bit disappointed they didn't make it a bit more mudguard and rack friendly, a bit more space under the Brake Bridge and better positioning of the Rack mounts in relation with the back brake would help this.

20150306_141829 (3).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Been a bit busy today, no time for a proper ride, but I did get time to do a couple of circuits, 16 mile in all, first impressions ^_^^_^^_^. Its a compact frame like my Verenti, tall front end long head tube and sloping Top Tube. Its light lively and goes where its pointed, it also doesn't dance over the lumps and bumps as much as my Pearson did, there have been occasions with the Pearson where I've backed off when its got too lively over the bumps at speed.Over all I'm impressed, I recon I'm going to have some fun with this, I'm just a little bit disappointed they didn't make it a bit more mudguard and rack friendly, a bit more space under the Brake Bridge and better positioning of the Rack mounts in relation with the back brake would help this.

View attachment 81635
Nice bike, Dave.

For those of you with feeeeeeeeelthy minds ... Dave's saddlebag is hiding an 'R' not a 'C'! ***

*** To show off my encyclopaedic knowledge of UK road signs, here is the proof! :laugh:

potsy

Rambler
I'm 5" 6" with a short leg, 29" and the 52 is a tad on the large size of right, my B****s rest on the top tube when stood astride the bike, but the 50 would have been too small, top tube would have been to short, its a compact frame.
Ah, I reckon a 52 would be spot on for me at a lofty 5' 7" then ^_^

Shame about the guards and 28's problem as that would have been my ideal set up, the tyres I prefer don't come smaller than 28's.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Ah, I reckon a 52 would be spot on for me at a lofty 5' 7" then ^_^

Shame about the guards and 28's problem as that would have been my ideal set up, the tyres I prefer don't come smaller than 28's.

If you read shufflemelody's post he managed to get mudguards on with the 28's, though its a very tight fit, probably a different make of mudguard to mine, the front is fine its just the back thats the problem.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Nice bike, Dave.

For those of you with feeeeeeeeelthy minds ... Dave's saddlebag is hiding an 'R' not a 'C'! ***

*** To show off my encyclopaedic knowledge of UK road signs, here is the proof! :laugh:
Actually, I don't know all the road signs in the UK, but I do happen to know THAT one. I used to cycle to Rock Lane as a child to mess about on the little sandstone cliff known as Corley Rocks!

Here is a picture of Corley Rocks and the singlespeed bike I used on my last visit to them, about 5 years ago ...

singlespeed_bike_corley_rocks.jpg

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

First proper ride today, 60 miles out to Wistow and back, ride report and pictures in the Your Ride Today Thread, impressed.

Top Bottom