I Love It When

• Thread starter Deleted member 1258
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't know anything about those Dave although I know a lot of people that ride the Planet x TT wheels and generally the reviews are positive. On the Pearson the Halo wheelset has done long miles, over 25,000 without a murmer. The Halo Aeroage has a good reputation as of course does the ever popular Miche Pistard, however from here on in I will be building my own wheels after a successful front Open Pro build, immense satisfaction. Be warned @potsy, fixed gear riding can get very addictive should you take to it, if I had to sum it up in one phrase it would be, "less is more" :smile:.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

I don't know anything about those Dave although I know a lot of people that ride the Planet x TT wheels and generally the reviews are positive. On the Pearson the Halo wheelset has done long miles, over 25,000 without a murmer. The Halo Aeroage has a good reputation as of course does the ever popular Miche Pistard, however from here on in I will be building my own wheels after a successful front Open Pro build, immense satisfaction. Be warned @potsy, fixed gear riding can get very addictive should you take to it, if I had to sum it up in one phrase it would be, "less is more" :smile:.

Building my own wheels is something I've never got round to learning, maybe when I retire and have more time I'll have a go.

potsy

Rambler
Interesting review of the bike here, very recent so hadn't seen it before

http://road.cc/content/review/144906-genesis-flyer-singlespeed

Seems to be suggesting they are changing a few things on future models, not sure if that will be the case when I order mine in a couple of weeks time or not.
More angular dropouts for easier wheel removal with guards, different tyres, Mudguards fitted as standard, new lower gearing, and upgraded Promax brakes.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Quite like the look of these, not sure if they count as 'less is more' though ^_^

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/ro...llipse-Track-Wheels-Pair/MAVIWHFT206000000000

They're nice but out of my price range.

Interesting review of the bike here, very recent so hadn't seen it before

http://road.cc/content/review/144906-genesis-flyer-singlespeed

Seems to be suggesting they are changing a few things on future models, not sure if that will be the case when I order mine in a couple of weeks time or not.
More angular dropouts for easier wheel removal with guards, different tyres, Mudguards fitted as standard, new lower gearing, and upgraded Promax brakes.

Thats a good review.

Last edited by a moderator:
The wheels are quite expensive for what they are, with a low spoke count at that price I would be hoping for a lower weight, around 1700g or less.
Regarding the new specification on the Genesis, the only major change I can see is the angling of the dropouts, unless the angle is fairly radical I can't see how that would make it any easier to remove the wheel, what it would do however is make it that much harder to pull back on the wheel to tension the chain. Sounds a bit gimmicky and unnecessary, just my opinion of course.

GGJ

Veteran
I feel that over the years Genesis have cheapened what was originally a well thought out quality built bike. The original Flyer was introduced around 2006 and dropped in 2008 for the Skyline. I have an original 2008-ish Genesis Skyline which I bought second hand. The original owner bought it and managed 20 miles before it was carefully stored in his heated garage. When I bought it I thought it was a brand new bike...it was and still is immaculate even thought I have done over 2000 miles through the last 2 winters. The Skyline has Reynolds 520 tubing, carbon seatpost and carbon forks Shimano callipers and levers, pannier and mudguard bosses which all make for a very comfortable ride.

Then Genesis in their wisdom brought out the Flyer with steel forks and alloy seatpost and Tektro braking system, and dropped the pannier and mudguard bosses (they did reintroduce them again at a later date) no doubt in an attempt to increase profit margins, it still worked but maybe not as good as the original Flyer and Skyline.

The latest version is further cutbacks with the Mjölnir 4130 tubeset. I've never heard of Mjölnir (have you?) and doubt very much it was done because it is any better than Reynolds 520 Chrome-Moly. It's nice to see they have reintroduced the carbon forks but they are still missing the carbon seatpost.

Don't get me wrong I love Genesis products, I have a Volare 931 (Reynolds tubing) to keep the Skyline company, but I feel that every year Genesis are cutting the corners much to the quality they originally set out as a manufacturer. The latest is the 2015 Volare 931 is now made from KVA MS3 tubing but when you read into this further it is more like a stainless version of Reynolds 853.

potsy

Rambler
Might be a daft question but what are those screw/spring things for?

What are they.JPG

potsy

Rambler
............another daft question. I presume you need to carry a spanner with you to remove wheels in the event of punctures?
Yes this is one of my worries but after watching a few videos it seems straight forward enough.

Normally with a qr wheel I would sort the wheel out, put it back then undo the qr again and give it a little bounce to get it lined up, will be a bit different with these.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Might be a daft question but what are those screw/spring things for?

View attachment 84676

Chain tugs, they're a bit of a nuisance when taking the wheel out but stop me pulling the wheel forward in the track ends and reduce the number of times I have to adjust the chain.

Top Bottom