I Love It When

• Thread starter Deleted member 1258
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Axle locators; chain tugs normally fit onto the axle or the dropout to pull the chain into tension. :smile:

The ones on the Genesis screw into the front of the track end, as I said in my earlier post they're a bit of a nuisance if I'm taking the wheel out but save a lot of work by stopping me pulling the wheel forward.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Finally I've cracked it! It took a black and decker workmate, a screw driver handle and a lot of careful bending but the original rack I brought for it has been made to fit, it sits a bit too high but I've now got a proper rack on it. I've been using a seat post mounted rack for the last few weeks, now while its did the job well enough I've been nervous about hanging the weight of my work bag off the seat post.

potsy

Rambler
Well I went to the lbs this morning to order my Flyer, they have one in my size that they will be building up for me this week.

Due to my shifts I won't be able to pick it up til Saturday but at least it's on it's way.

They are fitting some full guards (with the Secuclips) and with a few quid I had left over from my c2w voucher have asked them to fit a fixed cog and lockring to the other side of the hub :surrender:

User269

I have guards and a rack on my flier.
Yeh, but you'll be endlessley adjusting the guards to stop 'em rubbing, and the rack won't have capacity for any known pannier configuration.
It's not a touring bike.

You said;
I just need to set it up and sort out the carrier, the one I brought doesn't fit, too tall and the arm fouls the back brake, front mudguard went on straight away no problems, the back didn't fit, turns out there's not enough room under the brake bridge for a 700cx28 tyre and my mudguard.

Not suitable for mudguards or rack. It's not a touring bike.

Yeh, but you'll be endlessley adjusting the guards to stop 'em rubbing, and the rack won't have capacity for any known pannier configuration.
It's not a touring bike.

You said;
I just need to set it up and sort out the carrier, the one I brought doesn't fit, too tall and the arm fouls the back brake, front mudguard went on straight away no problems, the back didn't fit, turns out there's not enough room under the brake bridge for a 700cx28 tyre and my mudguard.

Yes and no, on the face of it a road bike would not be your first choice to tour on, however plenty of folk have done just that, in fact one guy [I forget his name] went round the world with all his gear on a road bike. Obviously you are unlikely to tour on a fixed unless it is the Netherlands. Different tyre makes come up in different sizes, for instance a 700 x 25 Gatorskin is much bigger than a 700 x 28 Schwalbe Durano, I know because I toured on the latter and my fixed came with the former, which I quickly changed. Tinkering with a bike is half the fun, though quite why some bikes are now produced with such tight fork / bridge clearances I have no idea, a few millimetres more would hardly disadvantage the bike in aero terms and aesthetically you would be hard put to see a difference.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

It's not a touring bike.

You said;

No I did not buy it as a touring bike, its my commuter and my winter bike, there are no plans for panniers, I don't need them. The carrier I brought did fit in the end, I just had to do some modifications, once I did those it fitted and it takes my work bag which is what I wanted it for, I could have sold the rack and did some research then got one that was a better fit. There isn't enough room under the brake bridge for 700cx28 tyres and guards, though some people have managed to fit guards with 28's, I fitted 700cx25 tyres, Bontrager Race Lite Hard Cases, then fitted guards, they fit well and I don't think I will have to tinker with them. The bike is my commuter and winter bike, it does what I brought it for and does it well.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Ready to roll

20150421_070646.jpg

shufflemelody

Veteran
Update on my Flyer/mudguard/tyre issues...

I've now got a new set of wheels for my Flyer with Rigida Chrina rims. These are narrower than the Alex rims that came with the bike and since switching over I've had no rubbing problems at all (been on for about a month now and I'm running 28mm Gatorskins as before), so I imagine the width of the rim must affect the profile of the tyre and it rubbing on the guards (35mm SKS chromoplastics). Freewheel also packed in and that has been replaced with a White Industries one. Running like a dream at the mo :-)

Don't understand why it can't be a touring bike - you can tour on anything, just depends how much you want to carry...

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 1258

Update on my Flyer/mudguard/tyre issues...

I've now got a new set of wheels for my Flyer with Rigida Chrina rims. These are narrower than the Alex rims that came with the bike and since switching over I've had no rubbing problems at all (been on for about a month now and I'm running 28mm Gatorskins as before), so I imagine the width of the rim must affect the profile of the tyre and it rubbing on the guards (35mm SKS chromoplastics). Freewheel also packed in and that has been replaced with a White Industries one. Running like a dream at the mo :-)

Don't understand why it can't be a touring bike - you can tour on anything, just depends how much you want to carry...

I've upgraded my wheels to a pair of these from Planet X

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPPXAL30DTR/planet-x-al30-d-track-wheelset#reviewstabs

potsy

Rambler
Picked my Flyer up this morning, typically it started raining the minute I left the shop :rolleyes:

Guards and the stock tyres fit but there is very little clearance so will probably drop them down to 25's later, will see what I have in stock.

Only a 2 mile ride home so will give my verdict after a proper ride.

Top Bottom