I LOVE the Regents Canal route!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

caimg

Über Member
Ahhhh just got back from a little ride, about 12.7 miles, riding a small portion of the Regents Canal. So much fun! Mostly flat with fun little rise and falls, mostly quiet (only needed to dismount / stop once) and all the peds are well-drilled on cyclists using the path (I was impressed at how many heard my chain or gear clicks and moved before I got anywhere near needing to use the bell).

I only rode from Primrose Hill to Victoria Park and back on the route but I'm planning to do Little Venice to Limehouse when I can...ahh I love cycling! :biggrin:

I love canal side cycling, sure its a little slower at times but thats not why I (you?) cycle there - its very relaxed and often picturesque even on urban canals.

RedRider

Pulling through
I love the way parts are like being in the country and parts industrial. It's a lovely day out. Last summer me and my partner had a sunny London waterways weekend when we meandered Limehouse to Little Venice one day and Putney to Teddington Lock by Thames Path the next.

OP
OP
caimg

caimg

Über Member
I love canal side cycling, sure its a little slower at times but thats not why I (you?) cycle there - its very relaxed and often picturesque even on urban canals.

Yeah exactly. Was so nice to be travelling through a very direct path of London with no cars, no fumes, no red lights etc. Rather enjoyed the canal etiquette of two tings on the bell too, though some of the bridges felt like a bit of a kamikaze run! Going to take some sustenance with me when I try the longer route tomorrow though, didn't realise how much energy it took out of me until I fell asleep from 6-8 pm :tongue:

OP
OP
caimg

caimg

Über Member
Cool - well I'm going to give it a go tomorrow though I'm likely to do Primrose Hill - Little Venice -Limehouse if I can! I'll whack up a gpx file for it if I don't fall into the canal ;)

Up north I'd recommend the Aire and Calder - its got a very wide path in parts and goes through some great country side. Leeds/Liverpool is also good but towpath is less suitable in places (but still cyclable). In my 'local' area (Yorkshire) there seems to be an abundance of canals in use and derelict that weave around the place, great to explore.

I've got a route mapped from Manchester city centre to Leeds via Rochdale canal (to start with) as my next one to do, the canal was restored in 2002. In fact as it'd be the 10th year anniversary this year of that there may be something going on of interest?

OP
OP
caimg

caimg

Über Member
That sounds awesome Wiggy, if there isn't already an event you should set one up!

As for islington, you come up off the canal, do a left then first right and head straight until you hit Upper Street. Go straight over and you'll run into the continuation of the canal...

That sounds awesome Wiggy, if there isn't already an event you should set one up!

As for islington, you come up off the canal, do a left then first right and head straight until you hit Upper Street. Go straight over and you'll run into the continuation of the canal...

Possibly:blush: I'm a bit of a lone cyclist I think but I will condsider it, I am going to do the route Manchester>Leeds on my own first as the way I have planned is actually over 4 different canals (Rochdale, Calder and Hebble, Aire and Calder, Leeds/Liverpool) and as it joins/leaves you need to be careful which side of the canal you end up on to avoid backtracking to a bridge. Total distance is 70-80 miles but I haven't mapped it accurately.

OP
OP
caimg

caimg

Über Member
Okay so I just did as much of the regents canal as I could do (it seems), an 18 mile round trip from / to home via the canal.

Joined at Primrose Hill again, and noticed that the path from there to Little Venice is closed at the moment, which was a bummer cos I wanted to try and do the whole route! Rode along to islington, came up and rejoined after angel, and all the way down to Limehouse. Beautiful route with so many sights of London you wouldn't usually see, and such a gorgeous day! Passed many people having lunch and picnics on the bank and in parks along the way. Limehouse basin was a lovely end to it, gobbled up some celebrations chocs before heading back :smile:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330613729.595949.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330613729.595949.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 32
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330613764.902584.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330613764.902584.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 31
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330613781.427999.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330613781.427999.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 33
Top Bottom