I made a mistake!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sidevalve

Über Member
If it is too big then it is too big and no amount of faffing about with this and that will fix it. If you have only had the bike a few days then you are entitled to take it back and ask for refund. Of course they did a deal on it - they wanted to get rid of it :sad:
I fail to see why they should take it back. There is no fault with the bike you bought it and now you have decided you don't like it. If they take it back they will have to shift a second hand bike and unless they told you it would fit they have done no wrong. It's like buying a car and taking it back a week later because you don't like the colour. Unless it's way too big there are as above loads of things to try.
Shorter stem, raise / lower the bars, narrower bars and even change the type of bar. If the pain is in the shoulders I think it points to a bar / front end prob - try an adjustable stem and see if you can find a suitable position with that.

lpretro1

Under consumer law you now have the right to take anything back if it is broken or faulty - in this case he could argue it is 'faulty' because it is the wrong size for him - aslong as he hasn't had it for more than about 30 days

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Under consumer law you now have the right to take anything back if it is broken or faulty - in this case he could argue it is 'faulty' because it is the wrong size for him - aslong as he hasn't had it for more than about 30 days

He would have a strong argument for sending the bike back on size grounds if he bought it online.

If he bought it from a shop, and tried it for size as one likely would, the argument for changing it is much weaker.

upandover

Guru
I had a 60cm cannondale R800 that was a slightly too much of a stretch for me, especially as I moved from a flatbar.

I did what people have said, put in a shorter stem (100mm instead of 1200), moved the saddle forward a little, adjusted the angle of the handlebars slightly. It made a huge difference, and I rode it for around two years. I still concluded it was too large in the end and moved on, but it made for a fun couple of years of riding, and I loved it.

Where is the weight when you're riding the bike? Does that give a clue about the pain?

midlife

Guru
@cyberknight not seen anybody do the old elbow to tip of fingers trick for a good number of years :smile:

Shaun

It's totally unethical to sell a bike that's the wrong size. And all the advice on this thread to fit a shorter stem is pretty farking shocking. It's like telling someone to wear five vests because the suit they bought is too big - it's just wrong.

gbb

Legendary Member
It's totally unethical to sell a bike that's the wrong size. And all the advice on this thread to fit a shorter stem is pretty farking shocking. It's like telling someone to wear five vests because the suit they bought is too big - it's just wrong.
Its far far from Ideal, no doubt. But, OP has brought, knowingly, a bike thats too big and it appears hes stuck with. A compromise is called for. Seems a reasonable one in the circumstances TBF.
Youre right , unethical seller...what a surprise.
Hes asked for help...advice is given from different angles. He can take or leave any of it TBF.
I suspect he wont make this mistake again...no offence..and sympathies weepiglet.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Youre right , unethical seller...what a surprise.

The manager of my local bike shop tells me there is a recurring problem with customers wanting a bike that's too big for them.

Particularly with young men who seem to think a big frame is more manly.

These customers are advised, several times, to take a smaller frame.

But ultimately, the customer is always right.

If he insists on a certain size of bike, that's what the shop sells him.

gbb

Legendary Member
The manager of my local bike shop tells me there is a recurring problem with customers wanting a bike that's too big for them.

Particularly with young men who seem to think a big frame is more manly.

These customers are advised, several times, to take a smaller frame.

But ultimately, the customer is always right.

If he insists on a certain size of bike, that's what the shop sells him.
Yep, i guess nothings ever black and white.
I understand that thought process re frame size. Compact frame bikes do feel small (duh, a clue is in the name) , i never really liked it, felt like it should look bigger.

Top Bottom