I made a mistake!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

weepiglet

Guys,
I was silly enough to think with my heart and not my head and bought a bike that I think is just slightly too big for me. They only had the one size left and they said they would do a good deal so I jumped in, feet first!!
The problem is that I am now getting a bit of pain around the top of my shoulders and I think the reach is just too much. It is a 60cm Cannondale SuperSix and I was wondering whether or not there would be a quick fix to make it more tolerable. Can I reduce the stem significantly enough without jeopardising other things?
Cheers all.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Try a stem that's 2cm shorter. On a 60cm frame you probably have a ten or twelve cm stem fitted so you have plenty of safe leeway.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I was in the same boat with a second hand carbon frame.

The easy solution was an 80mm stem (absolutely no difference in behaviour to a 100/120mm IMHO) and a slight tweak to the positioning of the shifters.

I wouldn't tamper with the rear end - just make sure that the seat is not set too high.

lpretro1

If it is too big then it is too big and no amount of faffing about with this and that will fix it. If you have only had the bike a few days then you are entitled to take it back and ask for refund. Of course they did a deal on it - they wanted to get rid of it :sad:

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
As others have said, a shorter stem and moving the saddle back, or most likely forward, can make all the difference. If you have a friendly LBS, maybe you could "try before you buy" on a shorter stem.

screenman

Legendary Member
How tall are you?

Hopefully about 6foot 13 inches.

Can you post a picture of you sat on the bike to give a better idea of stance, it maybe the right size but the bars are too wide for you so your arms are bent outwards instead of straight with a slight bend when on the tops.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My bike frame is the tinyest smidge too big (next one down was way way too small) but I have narrower bars and a 80mm stem and all is good.
60cm frames often come with wide bars that only someone seriously wide shouldered could deal with. Bars are not overly expensive for the average rider.

As others have asked. How tall are you ?

D

Deleted member 1258

Guys,
I was silly enough to think with my heart and not my head and bought a bike that I think is just slightly too big for me. They only had the one size left and they said they would do a good deal so I jumped in, feet first!!
The problem is that I am now getting a bit of pain around the top of my shoulders and I think the reach is just too much. It is a 60cm Cannondale SuperSix and I was wondering whether or not there would be a quick fix to make it more tolerable. Can I reduce the stem significantly enough without jeopardising other things?
Cheers all.

My Verenti is a size too big for me, its a 53, I should have brought the next size down a 51, I got myself comfortable with a short stem and careful bike set up. Slightly too big isn't a disaster and you should be able to get comfortable on it in the same way I did.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Heres a non scientific way to set reach once you have your seat height /setback set
upload_2015-5-2_8-15-23.jpeg

Yes you can vary it a bit either way depending on whats comfy but its a good starting point .

Top Bottom