I May Be Taking The Plunge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldstrath

Über Member
Serious question, is there a rule or law that states that? I genuinely don't know. Every other website that sells these bikes shows them with brakes and my LBS has them with brakes fitted so they definitely come with brakes. If Quella's website is breaking a rule then they should be told so they can rectify it.

Doubt there's a law. If anything, this might lose them a few sales from people who want to be sure they are buying a bike with brakes, but I guess they just want to show a nice pretty stripped down bike on their website. Personally I think the edinburgh bike coop Revolution Track is a better bike for similar money.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
Doubt there's a law. If anything, this might lose them a few sales from people who want to be sure they are buying a bike with brakes, but I guess they just want to show a nice pretty stripped down bike on their website. Personally I think the edinburgh bike coop Revolution Track is a better bike for similar money.
That was my thinking too. Fixies do look good without brakes because it highlights the simplicity of the machine. A number of manufactures show their fixies without brakes e.g. Felt's Brougham is shown without brakes on their site but brakes are mentioned in the spec.

potsy

Rambler
Same with the Specialized Langster, shown with no brakes because it looks 'cooler' but does come with them fitted.

specialized-langster-street-2015-singlespeed-bike.jpg

ChrisEyles

Guru
The OPs bike looks very nice to me - love the colour scheme and classic frame geometry and tubing (though I'm not so keen on the totally straight forks). Pretty decent price too. I'd be very tempted myself, if I wasn't already under strict orders to reduce the number of bikes in the shed!

mythste

Veteran
Looks classy! Flipped my charge plug to fixed from SS the other day. 10 minutes of absolute terror followed by a good hour of great fun.

Enjoy!

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
The OPs bike looks very nice to me - love the colour scheme and classic frame geometry and tubing (though I'm not so keen on the totally straight forks). Pretty decent price too. I'd be very tempted myself, if I wasn't already under strict orders to reduce the number of bikes in the shed!
I quite like the straight fork, and the overall styling to be honest. I only have room for 2 bikes in the shed so my hybrid will be chained up under a weather proof cover until the weather improves then will be moved to the cupboard under the stairs, where her bike lives, untouched.
Looks classy! Flipped my charge plug to fixed from SS the other day. 10 minutes of absolute terror followed by a good hour of great fun.

Enjoy!
I need to make sure the bike is set for freewheel unfortunately. I'll have enough to cope with on a small section of busy road before I can get on the cycle path. I'm very much looking forward to riding fixed though.

D

Deleted member 1258

Serious question, is there a rule or law that states that? I genuinely don't know. Every other website that sells these bikes shows them with brakes and my LBS has them with brakes fitted so they definitely come with brakes. If Quella's website is breaking a rule then they should be told so they can rectify it.
I'm not aware of a rule, though I recon that if I delved deep enough into consumer law I'd be likely to find one. Just from my perspective I'd be buying a bike for road use not track use so if a website brought up a picture of a bike without brakes I'd just go elsewhere.

AndyRM

XOXO

They say that their bikes are photographed without brakes for aesthetic purposes and that they come with front and rear brakes. The shots of them 'in the wild' so to speak feature a front brake so I don't think they're braking any rules (if they even exist).

I think artistic license comes into play - it's obviously a studio shot, but if they had someone riding it in traffic with no brakes I think they could get in a bit of bother.

Anyway, nice looking bikes!

mythste

Veteran
They say that their bikes are photographed without brakes for aesthetic purposes and that they come with front and rear brakes. The shots of them 'in the wild' so to speak feature a front brake so I don't think they're braking any rules

Heh.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
I'm not aware of a rule, though I recon that if I delved deep enough into consumer law I'd be likely to find one. Just from my perspective I'd be buying a bike for road use not track use so if a website brought up a picture of a bike without brakes I'd just go elsewhere.
If I'm seriously looking at a bike and I see a picture with no breaks I check the specs, which is what I did. As @AndyRM pointed out, they have this bit in their FAQ:

DOES MY BIKE COME WITH PEDALS AND BRAKES?

Quella bikes are often photographed without brakes or pedals for aesthetic purposes. All of our bikes are supplied with pedals and front and rear brakes in accordance with UK and EU regulations. You will also be supplied with a bell and reflectors.

This tells me that they're aware of any rules and it's probably ok for them to show pictures of their bikes without brakes as they do supply them with brakes.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
They say that their bikes are photographed without brakes for aesthetic purposes and that they come with front and rear brakes. The shots of them 'in the wild' so to speak feature a front brake so I don't think they're braking any rules (if they even exist).

I think artistic license comes into play - it's obviously a studio shot, but if they had someone riding it in traffic with no brakes I think they could get in a bit of bother.

Anyway, nice looking bikes!
I found the aesthetic purposes bit in the FAQ so I suppose it's ok as they seem to be aware of the law. I must admit they do look better without brakes!

Top Bottom