1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I may have to have a small cry.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Baggy, 16 Jul 2007.

1. Baggy

Baggy Cake connoisseur

Last night I decided to fit spanking new cantis on to my beloved Betty. To say I'm wrestling with the fitting is something of an understatement. The weather is gorgeous, I'm on holiday, and my other bike is awaiting a new spoke. Wah! :eek:

2. gbyers

gbyers New Member

Only fix the roof when the sun's shining (JFK)

Only take the bike to bits when its raining (KML) (Know My Limitations) :eek:

3. Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig Vice President in Exile

In my humble experience brakes are the one thing that nobody outside of a bicycle shop should ever touch. You can never get them quite right. And I'm convinced that the lads in the LBS don't do normal mechanicing on them: they have actually learned genuine white magic somewhere which empowers them to deal with the damn things. So either take it to the bike shop or just have your cry. There is no alternative.

4. OP
    OP
    Baggy

Baggy Cake connoisseur

:laugh:
    It was raining when I started last night :eek:

Cantis are in a special, evil, league of their own. There's probably a big stack of effigies, toads and herbs in the yard at the back of the bike shop.

5. Monty Dog

Monty Dog New Member

Oooh - the person who designed canti-brakes was obviously some sort of deviant hell-bent on inflicting his ills on the rest of mankind - particularly the ones with post-mount pads. Newer, vee-type brake shoes means that there's one less variable to fiddle with. I remember trying to fit some brand new Diacompes many years ago, which came bagged loose, no instructions and a bewildering array of springs, levers, bolts and spacers that could be assembled into a seemingly infinite number of variations which all worked to some degree, but none of them acceptably.

6. Trembler49

Trembler49 Veteran

I have just fitted some Avid shorty things to one of my bikes. can I get them to stop squealing, can I buggery. And you need at least three hands to fiddle with them.

7. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

That's when a knowledgeable and loving partner comes in handy!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/color]

8. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

That's when a knowledgeable and loving partner comes in handy!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
    I'm very knowledgeable and extremely handy.:blush:
    No bloody use at brakes though...:laugh: :eek: :tongue:

9. Paulus

Paulus Getting older by the minute

So whats the problem then Baggy?

10. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

Her rear canti is the problem... :eek:
    We're off to the LBS to see a nice man.:blush:

11. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

Her rear canti is the problem... :blush:
    We're off to the LBS to see a nice man.:laugh:[/quote]

I hope he is a VERY nice man. :eek:

12. OP
    OP
    Baggy

Baggy Cake connoisseur

They seemed very nice, but confirmed "it's not rocket science, but unless you know the technique it's not easy".

They are talking about the secret technique that only bike mechanics know.

I bet it takes them 30 seconds to fix :eek:

13. Paulus

Paulus Getting older by the minute

So what was it then Baggy? Couldn't get the canti's on the braze ons? trouble with the spring clips? I'm intrigued to know. :eek:

14. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Which is why the special tool for the job is called a 'third hand'....

15. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

Who are you calling a special tool, eh?:eek:

Paulus - The problem was getting the rear set aligned. Bags follows instructions properly unlike me. Doing so left the pads bound tight to the rims with the springs looking distinctly slack. The obvious solution, moving them onto the top hole on the braze-on thus setting the pads much wider and increasing spring tension, left the wire horribly misaligned. The front set went on fine, but the rears caused much swearing.