I may have to have a small cry.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Last night I decided to fit spanking new cantis on to my beloved Betty. To say I'm wrestling with the fitting is something of an understatement. The weather is gorgeous, I'm on holiday, and my other bike is awaiting a new spoke. Wah! :eek:
 

gbyers

New Member
Location
Leeds
Only fix the roof when the sun's shining (JFK)

Only take the bike to bits when its raining (KML) (Know My Limitations) :eek:
 

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
In my humble experience brakes are the one thing that nobody outside of a bicycle shop should ever touch. You can never get them quite right. And I'm convinced that the lads in the LBS don't do normal mechanicing on them: they have actually learned genuine white magic somewhere which empowers them to deal with the damn things. So either take it to the bike shop or just have your cry. There is no alternative.
 
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
gbyers said:
Only take the bike to bits when its raining (KML) (Know My Limitations) :blush:
:laugh:
It was raining when I started last night :eek:

Andy in Sig said:
I'm convinced that the lads in the LBS don't do normal mechanicing on them: they have actually learned genuine white magic somewhere which empowers them to deal with the damn things.
Cantis are in a special, evil, league of their own. There's probably a big stack of effigies, toads and herbs in the yard at the back of the bike shop.
 

Monty Dog

New Member
Location
Fleet
Oooh - the person who designed canti-brakes was obviously some sort of deviant hell-bent on inflicting his ills on the rest of mankind - particularly the ones with post-mount pads. Newer, vee-type brake shoes means that there's one less variable to fiddle with. I remember trying to fit some brand new Diacompes many years ago, which came bagged loose, no instructions and a bewildering array of springs, levers, bolts and spacers that could be assembled into a seemingly infinite number of variations which all worked to some degree, but none of them acceptably.
 
Keith Oates][quote name= said:
I have just fitted some Avid shorty things to one of my bikes. can I get them to stop squealing' date=' can I buggery. [color=red']And you need at least three hands to fiddle with them[/color'].
That's when a knowledgeable and loving partner comes in handy!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
I'm very knowledgeable and extremely handy.:blush:
No bloody use at brakes though...:laugh: :eek: :tongue:
 

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Location
Barnet,
Baggy said:
Last night I decided to fit spanking new cantis on to my beloved Betty. To say I'm wrestling with the fitting is something of an understatement. The weather is gorgeous, I'm on holiday, and my other bike is awaiting a new spoke. Wah! :eek:


So whats the problem then Baggy?
 
OP
Baggy

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
They seemed very nice, but confirmed "it's not rocket science, but unless you know the technique it's not easy".

They are talking about the secret technique that only bike mechanics know.

I bet it takes them 30 seconds to fix :eek:
 

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Location
Barnet,
Baggy said:
They seemed very nice, but confirmed "it's not rocket science, but unless you know the technique it's not easy".

They are talking about the secret technique that only bike mechanics know.

I bet it takes them 30 seconds to fix :blush:
So what was it then Baggy? Couldn't get the canti's on the braze ons? trouble with the spring clips? I'm intrigued to know. :eek:
 

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
Trembler49 said:
I have just fitted some Avid shorty things to one of my bikes. can I get them to stop squealing, can I buggery. And you need at least three hands to fiddle with them.
Which is why the special tool for the job is called a 'third hand'....
 
Arch said:
Which is why the special tool for the job is called a 'third hand'....
Who are you calling a special tool, eh?:eek:

Paulus - The problem was getting the rear set aligned. Bags follows instructions properly unlike me. Doing so left the pads bound tight to the rims with the springs looking distinctly slack. The obvious solution, moving them onto the top hole on the braze-on thus setting the pads much wider and increasing spring tension, left the wire horribly misaligned. The front set went on fine, but the rears caused much swearing.
 
Top Bottom