I miss the car!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I couldn't maintain my families lifestyle without a car. We certainly couldn't manage using taxis orublic transport, either financially or practicly.

Lee_M

Guru
4 cars and a motorbike here.

Cycling is for fun now I don't work within cycle commuting distance of home.

Then again the cars and motorbike are for fun too

Life's too short to worry about it, i can only use one car at once so it's not like I'm loading the environment with poison

D

Deleted member 1258

I was car free for over thirty years, now I have a car but don't use it a lot. The car is convenient and can make life easier.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I am single, live 5 miles from work, a couple of miles from major supermarkets, last time I had access to a car (not mine, I must add), was 14 years ago.
I hate driving, so no great hardship not having a car.
I seem to be able to do all the things you mentioned @Sandra6: where there's a will there's a way, but of course if you are paying for a car that lays idle it is annoying.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery to your hubby!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
When i lived in the city i was car free. For around 20 years, i never owned one, then i moved to mid Wales. Here a car is needed as public transport is very sparse, buses only every 2 or three hours, last bus as 6 pm. And no public transport on Sundays, plus i live half a mile uphill from the main road, so getting shopping up the road is a nightmare to say the least, especially in the winter.

Cars are not the devils curse. They are very useful, and personally i don't know how i would manage without mine, especially as i do my main shopping 25 miles away, and i also like driving.

Drago

Legendary Member
I own a car, but not driven it in 5 weeks so I do wonder why I bother. It spends more time with the battery on charge than it does in motion.

Also 2 x motorbikes, but not ridden either since I broke my elbow in 2008 but can't bring myself to sell either.

Been considering a Twizy, or even an agricultural style quad for the occasional local hops I do.

Car and a motorcycle.

Can't do without the car even though the office is 5 miles away, plus I really enjoy driving.

The motorbike may go this year, I only did 600 miles on it last year.

I had a ban for speeding in 2012, and not being able to drive was a right pain, even more so as I was away for 3 months working on the Farnborough Airshow.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
I think a lot depends on where you live and your commitments and job.
You can get many things from garden centres delivered or buy the same items off Ebay and online grocery shopping is great. I will only get taxis if there is absolutley no other alternative, like taking my Mum to hospital etc or in an emergency.
I've never had a car and manage well, but the public transport here is fairly good.
Have you thought about learning to drive Sandra?
I know I'm being awkward but I like to look at things before I buy them. Onlines not the same, but needs must, I'll probably end up doing that.
We've been car free before, but we lived much closer to everything and a taxi home from town cost a couple of quid!
I toy with learning to drive from time to time, I can actually drive in first gear, slowly in a straight line but it's too expensive and Mr 6 doesn't share!
I did suggest putting me on the insurance so he could give me lessons - to the supermarket/garden centre etc - but he wasn't impressed.

Leedsbusdriver

Every breath leaves me one less to my last
I understand where you're coming from.
I used public transport for the commute twice this week - the 45 minutes it normally takes on a morning became just under two hours, the return in the evening something similar.
And the cost - over £20 a day for the two of us!

PS, I can recommend Morrison's for getting your shopping delivered
Can i ask,how did you manage to spend £20 a day on public transport?Genuinely curious.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Can i ask,how did you manage to spend £20 a day on public transport?Genuinely curious.

My bad - it was actually £18, not £20.

1x Day Saver, 1x First Day and 1 train ticket.

It can be done cheaper by buying weekly or monthly tickets, but that doesn't effect the more than doubling of travel time - or the lack of flexibility that having to be out of the door at a set time on a morning or at the railway station at specific times brings.

Leedsbusdriver

Every breath leaves me one less to my last
My bad - it was actually £18, not £20.

1x Day Saver, 1x First Day and 1 train ticket.

It can be done cheaper by buying weekly or monthly tickets, but that doesn't effect the more than doubling of travel time - or the lack of flexibility that having to be out of the door at a set time on a morning or at the railway station at specific times brings.
Temple Green park and ride isn't a million miles away from you.£3 return which drops you off on Boar Lane.
Also have you heard of the Plus Bus ticket?http://www.plusbus.info/leeds

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Temple Green park and ride isn't a million miles away from you.£3 return which drops you off on Boar Lane.
Also have you heard of the Plus Bus ticket?

True, but why would I drive to Temple Green to get a bus into Leeds when I can get a bus into Leeds from just down the street?

Plus Bus, now there's a thing - I've tried twice to buy a train ticket with Plus Bus from the station and been told it isn't allowed for journeys within West Yorkshire - although I can find nothing on the web to confirm that...

I reckon I could do without a car.

It would mean lots of changes at work for a lot of other people, and also result in my family not seeing me. But I'd feel better for it.

Top Bottom