I missed an anniversary :(

Brock

The first of July was my first anniversary of giving driving up after 16 years of owning cars. I suppose the fact that I missed the occasion shows how much I miss having one.. Not at all.
To celebrate I've awarded myself a new sig. :eek:

Who else is walking (riding?) the righteous path of the non fossil fuelled traveller? Good innit! :blush:

Bigtallfatbloke

I wouldnt say I've given up driving, but I hardly ever need to use the dam thing any more...I maybe drive once a week now if that

redfox

Congrats Brock, wish I had the courage of my convictions to do the same.

I really resent paying for it to sit on the drive (and don't get me started on servicing costs), but I have a job that occasionally requires visiting customers all over the country with a boot full of kit just in case.

However, that wont be the case for too much longer with any luck.

longers

Veteran
I've not had a car for 15 months now. Can't afford to run one and have it sitting there for days on end. I still hanker after a fancy car but it'll have to wait. A long while probably. :eek:
A Bongo would be handy for chucking bikes and dogs and wood and tools and plants and stuff around in but I just have to be imaginative in my transport arrangements. I try to be self sufficient and not cadge too many lifts either.

ghitchen

I hardly use mine but not having one at all would be too much of a nuisance. My outdoor hobby (cycling isn't a hobby, it's a way of life) is kayaking, and if you think it can be tricky getting a bike onto public transport, imagine what it would be like with a kayak! It is also useful for getting the mtb to the mountains.

OP
Brock

Brock

When I decided to get rid of the car, I thought that I could easily hire one for a day if, now and then, the need arose. I haven't had to do that yet though. We both cycle to work, luckily it's only about 5 miles for both of us. We do a big shop online bi-weekly which gets delivered, and grab fresh bits and pieces during the week from the local shops. Rare trips by bus/train/taxi aren't a bother when necessary either. Luckily I don't have a kayak to haul about, or children that can't do without a free taxi, so I'm sure it's easier for me than most. Still, I do think people come up with some pretty lame reasons for needing a car.

but I'm saving for a campervan for when I hope to be almost 'self-sufficient', and FREE!
That sounds intriguing Dayvo, got plans?

Brock said:
Still, I do think people come up with some pretty lame reasons for needing a car.
True, although of course there's no reason anyone should have to come up with a reason for 'needing' a car. I have cars because I like them and enjoy driving, although I would find it difficult to get to gigs all over the place with a 100 watt Marshall amp, three instruments and half a PA system on a bike!

OP
Brock

Brock

That's what the band van is for surely?
I didn't mean to give the impression that I thought people should have to justify their use of a car, I just think in some cases it's more of a habit than necessity, and a bloody expensive one.
If I ask someone why they need a car, it's because I'm interested in their reasons, not because I feel like some morally superior pedal powered eco warrior. Often the idea of not owning a car just doesn't enter people's minds as an option, while at the same time they moan about the cost, the roads, the congestion etc.
I hated driving, and like drinking, so the choice for me was easy :eek:

Top Bottom