I need a new bike! Help needed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hamesh

Hi everyone,

I came across this site while researching on a single speed bike to buy. I'm a student currently in University.I need a bike to get around as a car is way to expensive. It's a good way to save money and keep fit! I've been looking on gumtree, big retail bike shops and ebay. I've found a few but have no idea if they are worth the money. I have no clue what's classed as a good or bad bike as i only used to ride mountain bikes when i was younger. I'm afraid i'm a total noob and have no idea how to build a bike myself so that is out of the question!

I've seen a bike like this, and really like this style / colours. With the black frame and red wheels. I also want to keep the handle bars like how it is shown in that picture as that's what i've been used to in the past....
wujiis.jpg

I am on a slight budget as being a broke student - £180 MAX (Including delivery) - I live in London atm so i can pick it up anywhere from London if you guys know any good places.

So basically i'm hoping you can point me in the right direction of what's good and what's not. Not really sure what else to include apart from i really want a bike by the end of this week!

Thank you in advance for any replies. :smile:

Basic Information:
Height: 165 cm

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hamesh welcome to the forum its a good place to find advice , stupid comments and loads more

i have this for sale if its of any interest to you , might consider selling just frame set or ??

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/fixed-gear-bike-for-sale.105680/

OP
OP
H

Hamesh

Hi biggs682,

Nice bike! However, its not what i am after... And about the frame, like i said above, i have no clue how to build one so the frame would be useless to me. :sad:

Sorry - Thank you for your reply + welcome

Hi Hamish.

No bike to offer you, but a bit of advice.

You are putting a number of constraints on your requirements that may make it difficullt to achieve ...
  • Style
  • Budget
  • Time
You may do better if you decided which of these is the least important and let it slip. Even better if you can be flexible on 2 of them.

OP
OP
H

Hamesh

Hi,

Okay - Style doesn't have to be those colours - I'd jut really prefer something along those lines. As for time, i guess that can wait if it means finding something better etc.

I'm afraid for budget i can't really move from that really for my first bike.

Thank you :smile:

OP
OP
H

Hamesh

I've had a look at these bikes for sale on gumtree.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/b...-years-warranty/101620720#gallery-item-full-2

Specifications:

-Frame & Fork : high light Crmo 4130
-Brakes Shimano Caliper Road Type
-Kenda 700 x 23 Tyre (white color)
- Neco Sealed Bottom Braket
-Chain Kmc extra spt Z 410
-Handlebar Promax Alloy
-Saddle ergonomic for extra confort for long ride
-Rim Alloy 45mm Flip Flop Sealed Hubs Formula 16 T Freewheel
-Pedal G35 BMX style
-Stem Promax Alloy + 30
-Weight 9,8 Kg

Would these be good for a 1st single speed bike?

Hi,

Okay - Style doesn't have to be those colours - I'd jut really prefer something along those lines. As for time, i guess that can wait if it means finding something better etc.

I'm afraid for budget i can't really move from that really for my first bike.

Thank you :smile:

Hamesh,

First off, an apology for spelling you name wrong. I am too used to the scottish name.

I had guessed that budget would be your primary concern.

For the price you are looking at, you are probably better off looking at the second hand market.

You have made a good start with eBay & Gumtree. You may also want to see if there is a local recycling centre. Up here we have these people.

Unfortunately with all these options, you never know what is going to be available so you need to keep an eye on them. You are also more likely to find a geared bike than a single speed or fixed.

OP
OP
H

Hamesh

Haha, don't worry about the spelling mistake i get it a lot! I'm half scottish and half indian, so it's a scottish name spelt the indian way. Haha :smile:

Touche, are you saying the link i posted on gumtree looks half decent?

Touche, are you saying the link i posted on gumtree looks half decent?

I am not allowed to look at Gumtree from work, so can't follow the link.
As for the details you have posted. Looks OK, but I am not an expert on these things so was reluctant to comment.

A couple of points for you to consider.
  • Is it in your price limit?
  • What is the risk if it is a dud?
    • How likely is it you will have a problem?
    • What will it cost to resolve it?
    • What can you do to minimise the chance that this will happen?
    • What is your alternative should this become a reality?
I am not saying you must know the answers to these, just be aware that the questions exist and be prepared.

A simple step you can take that would reduce the costs and probability of things going wrong would be to take a few lessons on bike maintenance. It is amazing what can be done. When I re-started cycling (after stopping as a student) I knew nothing, now I am happy to do any job on a bike.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
It's probably worth looking at a London orientated Fixed-gear and Single-speed forum, and posting in the classified section. Not sure if I'm allowed to name it or place a link here though.

The problem with cheaper new bikes is that they are equipped with cheaper parts, are more likely to wear and break much quicker than their more expensive versions. This can ultimately be expensive or time consuming to correct. However if you are pushed for time and on a shoe string budget, a bike like the one in the OP might be just right. It won't become a family heirloom or look pretty in a years time, but it might still be running, so might be worth a punt. I'm sure you'll learn some good mechanic's skills on the way too, like how to get the chain tension right.

Any particular reason you need it so urgently? Haste is not always the friend of wise decisions...

Top Bottom