I need a new chain - help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I need to replace my chain (mickle told me to - I must obey). I know I need a 7 speed chain, and if I was guessing I would go for a Shimano (cos thats what some of the bits on the bike are). But I notice they do HG 91, HG50, HG 40 etc... but I don't know what the difference between all those are.
Can someone explain what I'm looking for in a chain (apart from one that is self-cleaning:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:).

SRAM chains are the best in my opinion. 7 & 8 speed chains are the same.

giant man

I tried to get hold of a PC58 SRAM chain but was sold a PC870 and was told it's the same thing ie. for Shimano 8 speed, would you know if that's right mickle?

Can't see much info on the SRAM web site you see. Any reference to check would you know?

DLB

don't forget you might well need a chain splitter. I'm just about to change my chain tonight (if it's arrived in the post) and ordered a chain splitter as well.

I ordered a shimano 6/7/8 speed chain from wiggle for £8 and then got told that a SRAM would have been better.:biggrin:

Somebody did post a link on a recent thread with clear instructions as to how to change the chain.

DLB said:
Somebody did post a link on a recent thread with clear instructions as to how to change the chain.

Maybe me :biggrin: (if it wasn't, I'll look stupid !! xx(:biggrin::biggrin:)http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=25

- shows how you use the chain tool to break-open your old chain to get it off and then how to shorten the new one to the right length
- but then after you've read all the way through how to use the Shimano joining pin and how the chain will fail if you do it wrong, see the 'Master Links in Derailleur Chains' bit underneath : this is what you get with a SRAM or KMC chain

summerdays said:
I need to replace my chain (mickle told me to - I must obey). I know I need a 7 speed chain, and if I was guessing I would go for a Shimano (cos thats what some of the bits on the bike are). But I notice they do HG 91, HG50, HG 40 etc... but I don't know what the difference between all those are.
Can someone explain what I'm looking for in a chain (apart from one that is self-cleaning:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:).

HG 91, 50, 40 are the codes they start at 40 ie the basic.... and HG means hyper glide
shimano chains are ok but as mickle has said
mickle said:
SRAM chains are the best in my opinion. 7 & 8 speed chains are the same.

sram are better.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
So when the time comes to change my shimano chain the general consensus is to replace with a Sram? If this is so I won't need a chain splitter as I'll just hacksaw the old bugger off ! And 7 & 8 speed chains are the same ?

ratty2k

Comparing the systems I have (Sram, Shimano & campag) I thuink the best shifting is my Campy set up. But theres not much between the two S's. But I'd probably go with Shimano for a replacement cassette.
Sram chains are better than Shimano- the big plus they have is the joining mechanism. Once youve got it the correct length, you can remove it without tools for easy cleaning. With Shimano, you are supposed to use a new pin every time.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Just to put a damper on the SRAM euphoria, mine broke to-day, depositing me in a heap by the side of the road. Luckily I was grinding my way up a steep climb at slow speed and the landing was soft, and also that a guy who turned out to be a cyclist lived at the top of the hill, saw me walking up and very kindly gave me and my inoperative machine a lift home.

Thank you Derick.

A KMC chain is now on it's way from Wiggle. I reckon they are the best, personally.

Top Bottom